Can't connect to site from computer where I built site using Local

Others can see site but I can’t connect using the computer I used to build the site using Local. Site was successfully migrated to a hosting company’s servers and others can see the site. But from my computer browsers all say “can’t connect.”

Since I built the site on this computer, is there some residual Local created code that doesn’t allow this computer to seek the URL on the net? How do I enable this computer to connect to the site on the hosting company’s servers?

I’ve emptied my cache and rebooted my router and that has not solved the problem. I’ve tried three different browsers (Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox). Same problem.

The problem here was caused by Local modifying the hosts file. Local adds a line resolving the site URL to localhost. Thus preventing browsers from going out onto the internet to search for that URL.

1 Like

Hi @syndicat - thank you for your question & follow up.

Is your problem solved or did you still need some support here?

Thank you!

Sam :woman_technologist:t3:

I have this SAME Issue. Where is the localwp hosts file?
I can’t connect to a LIVE site, and I HAVE NOT pulled a local version.

The hosts file at /private/etc/hosts does not list the LIVE sites domains.
I do have ALL these sites at WPEngine.

If I knew where the hosts file is, I could fix this, but it’s not in the expected location.
Your support is appreciated.

yes. the problem was the hosts file. local had identified my ULR with localhost.

tomw

The weird part is I can’t access ANY of my sites on WP Engine.
And I only pulled 1 site to develop locally.

The hosts file does not list ALL of my WP Engine sites, it only lists the 1 site.
But I can’t access 22 other websites I have at WP Engine.

Everyone else has one site they are deving on. But I’m the Hosting Account owner, and I cannot access 22 other sites.

Your assistance is much appreciated.
How do I fix this?

Hi, I have a similar problem. I can log onto Local, and can open the site I built. BUT, when I try to access WP Admin, the local site does not accept my local WP credentials to log onto the dashboard. I know the login details are correct as they are saved in a Password Safe (LastPass). I also tried to login using my email address but that was not recognised either. I’ll attach a screenshot of my local dashboard in case that suggests something to readers? I have been able to access the dashboard in the past, so I am wondering what is happening? I did update local today for the latest version. Might that have caused it? Thanks, Roger.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.