Chrome not recognizing Local security certificates under Elementary Linux

Issue Summary

Chrome not recognizing Local security certificates. Unable to access sites in SSL using Chrome browser. Able to access using default elementary OS browser “Web”

Replication

Fire it up and try to access site on Chrome.

System Details

Local 6.1.3X, elementary OS 6, Chrome latest (ran sudo adp-get update today).

1 Like

@ben.turner I made this post 10 days ago at your request (How to pull code from wp engine on linux system - #10 by katie.co). No responses :frowning:

Hey @katie.co – Thanks for creating this topic and I’m sorry that there hasn’t been any response here.

It’s hard to know exactly what’s going on without a specific error to go off of. Are you able to upload the Local log for others to take a look at? See this Community Forum post for instructions on how to do so:

Replicating fixing this will be tricky, mostly because I don’t know how many users in the community are using Elementary OS, but I’m happy to take a look at the Local log and see if anything specific stands out!

Thanks @ben.turner
local-lightning.log (37.1 KB)

I’m not sure if it is a proxy error as security warnings appear in both Firefox and Chrome, yet do not appear in the stock elementary OS browser (Web).

I’ve tried mannualy updating the OS newtork proxy settings, SSL error still in Chrome and Firefox.

Thanks for that Local Log!

I’m not seeing any errors related to SSL certificates in the logs. I do see this error, which seems like maybe a PHP process isn’t closing cleanly:

{"thread":"main","class":"Process","process":"phpFpm","level":"warn","message":"[24-Oct-2021 09:22:11] ERROR: Another FPM instance seems to already listen on %%site.runData%%/php/php-fpm.socket","timestamp":"2021-10-24T01:22:11.824Z"}

Do you have the specific error that those browsers are giving? Oftentimes, these browsers don’t like Self-signed certificates, so it may seem like an error, but in fact they are just being quite “noisy.”

@ben.turner “NET::ERR_CERT_INVALID” is it expected behavior for the browsers to reject the self signed cert? I can override it of course; however, what’s the point in having one if the browser rejects it?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s expected. Local can try to register certificates for the site, but certain browsers like Firefox will always complain about self-signed certificates.

But this error doesn’t appear to be about self-signed certificates. For some reason, the browser thinks that the site’s certificate is invalid.

This doesn’t happen on other OSes, so this seems like it might be related to Chrome under Elementary OS. You might reach out to wherever support happens for Elementary OS and see if other users experience this sort of thing.

Another option is that since this is a development environment, you might just use Chrome’s super secret cheat code and type thisisunsafe in that browser.

No really. Chrome has that.

1 Like

@ben.turner We have the same issue in Chrome Version 95.0.4638.54 but on MacOS 11.4

local-lightning.log (100.0 KB)

2 Likes

@woda – since this topic is more focused on Elemetary OS, this other topic is likely a better place to coordinate communication around MacOS:

1 Like

You cannot visit {site.local} right now because the website sent scrambled credentials that Chrome cannot process. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.