Extremely slow site import in AMD Threadripper rig on Windows 10

Issue Summary

Just got a Threadripper rig (see: Rig for Graph Database Research by dimitrisv - AMD Threadripper 3960X, GeForce GT 710, NZXT H710 ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker ) which is extremely fast for everything bar Local import.

I am importing old sites I have created and it can take up to 8 hours (!) to import a site. During the import time, the activity of my disk is 95% and I am sure that if I didn’t have such a powerful system, the whole operation would have never been completed.

Please note that in my system, I am also using VirtualBox to host various servers for development. It is the version 6.1.18 and it can load a Windows Server 2019 VM in less than 10 seconds.

In my investigation I noticed that it is the mysql instance of Local that it is extremely slow. I noticed that queries to it (to say show the count of the line imported in a table) can time out (after 30 seconds).

If it also helps, I noticed that if the MySQL DB is not v8. but v.5.7 the sites (after it is imported) performs extremely poorly.

You may also find this link Increasing the number of Virtual Processors makes Windows Server 2019 guest hung - virtualbox.org related to the VM performance on AMD Threadripper chipsets. It may have to switched to Hyper-V virtualization instead of the default.

Please advise if you need further logs, etc.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?

Replication

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

System Details

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.