How to pull code from wp engine on linux system

I am using linux system (ubuntu) to pull code using wp engine hosting but after completion of this process when I click on visit site and then shows 403 Forbidden. When I go to folder structure there is no file related to wordpress like wp-config.php etc and folder wp-content etc. so what is the issue on linux system ?

1 Like

Same issue here … I am using Fedora 34 and have had NO luck connecting and pulling from WPE to Local.

1 Like

Hey @webdev1 and @bhavna.singh – Welcome to the Local Community Forums and sorry for the late reply!

This can be a tricky thing to diagnose from a distance. Can you provide a bit more info about your setup?

• What version of Local are you using?
  • What Operating System and OS version is being used?
  • Can you please provide your Local Log? See this Community Forum post for instructions on how to do so:
  • Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one?
  • Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site?

What version of Local are you using?
Localwp v.6.0.0+5444

What Operating System and OS version is being used?
Fedora 34

Can you please provide your Local Log?
local-lightning.log (139.6 KB)

Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one?
Happens on every WPEngine site I try to pull to local. The app/public directory is basically empty
Screenshot from 2021-07-01 14-43-57

Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site?
Yes, I can create a local site just fine.

@ben.turner It seems like it is this line in the log:

{"thread":"main","class":"DevKitService","message":"rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [Receiver]\nrsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(228) [Receiver=3.2.3]\n","level":"warn","timestamp":"2021-07-03T14:44:13.127Z"}

Right now Localwp is unusable to work on this client site pulling from WPEngine.
Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

That error doesn’t seem specific to Local – by that I mean it seems lower level and is likely related to the SSH connection.

The first thing I would recommend is disconnecting from WPE and try re-connecting to the site by following these steps:

If you still have issues after re-connecting, then it’s likely there is something else messing with the SSH connection. Some things that you might consider:

• Is this a work computer, possibly with some security settings that are messing with the SSH key that the computer is providing?
  • Are you using a VPN? It’s possible that they are “doing stuff” that is messing with that connection.

Actually @ben.turner I respectively disagree. LocalWP will not work pulling a site from WPE. I have already done all you suggested to no avail.
In addition:

• I installed Fedora in a VM with VMWare just to test a default clean install, but it does not work any differently that my host Fedora OS.
  • I installed Ubuntu in a VM with VMWare to test a default clean install of a different distribution, and LocalWP works fine

At a minimum, LocalWP does not work as expected in Fedora. The LocalWP install obviously does not account for these issues. If there is going to be a LocalWP RPM version it needs to be a working version OR at least provide post-installation steps the users needs to complete.

1 Like

Are there specific distros where Local works as expected? If so, can you outline what they are.

I’ve checked out a few Linux threads and there are many unresolved issues (including my latest thread)

In general, I think most Local users are on Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu 21.04 as the OS on my personal machine, and often use Local to work with sites and deploy them to Flywheel.

I use elementary OS (based on Ubuntu) and still experience issues.

It’s hard to say what’s going on without more info!

Can you create a new topic in the Support category and add as much detail as you can so that others can help replicate or troubleshoot?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.