DLLs not loading after PHP updates (Windows 10)

Bug Summary

DLLs seem not to be loaded correctly anymore.

Steps to reproduce

Update the PHP version (7.x or 8.x) of an existing project as suggested by the Local environment and have a look into the log file for PHP from here: Local Sites > Project > logs > error.log .

In my log file I find a lot of PHP extensions that can not be processed. It looks like this:

“PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library ‘php_imap.dll’ (tried: C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Programs/Local/resources/extraResources/lightning-services/php-8.1.9+8/bin/win64/ext\php_imap.dll (Die angegebene Prozedur wurde nicht gefunden), C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Programs/Local/resources/extraResources/lightning-services/php-8.1.9+8/bin/win64/ext\php_php_imap.dll.dll (Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden)) in Unknown on line 0”

So the existing DLL shall be processed with a wrong name (php_ before and .dll behind the real name and can not be found. This way there seems to be a problem with the usage of

  • php_imap.dll
  • php_bz2.dll
  • php_mbstring.dll
  • php_sodium.dll
  • php_tidy.dll
  • php_xsl.dll
  • php_soap.dll
  • php_mysqli.dll
  • php_pdo_mysql.dll
  • php_fileinfo.dll
  • php_intl.dll
  • php_xdebug.dll
  • php_curl.dll
  • php_gettext.dll
  • php_openssl.dll
  • php_exif.dll
  • php_gd.dll

and may be more, everything logged as a problem like this: “php_php_gd.dll.dll”.

Environment Info

Windows 10
Local 6.6.0+6231
Tested after updating Local to the latest version, all projects on newest WP and Plugin versions, issues with sub versions of PHP 7, PHP 8 and PHP 8.1.

Not sure, if Local or PHP upgrades caused different trouble on different projects,
including a newer one, where the database can currently not be loaded anymore.
Switching between Apache and nginx seems not to help much.

Can issues like this be fixed without a brand new installation? Unfortunatelly you can not export broken Local projects to import it later into a fresh installation and check if it works better than the upgraded version slight_smile:

Hi @Oliver Sharing this other post that might be helpful to you:

Thanks for sharing this, Nick.

I was testing a lot of things this week, even the admin trick.
In the end, I completely deleted the program, files and folders to install a fresh version and see how things work with it. Rebuild the running project then and the things seem to work well until now. :slight_smile:

Lost some of the elder products, but found out while searching for a solution here that I should be able to get a compatible new copy from live servers of running projects easily with WP Migrate. Unfortunately, one Local Export was broken before the reinstallation (can not be imported again), some projects could not be exported as they were broken before with database connection errors. I have full copies from all projects but did not find out yet, how I could connect to databases in Local without the standard project port routing. Adminer has no database list like phpMyAdmin. Giving all databases the same name and different port connections is confusing for me. It means you can not import, repair and use databases manually without installing a dummy project first or inspect an existing database without a working port connection.

However - new projects in the fresh installation run smooth. This is great for now.

1 Like