Malwarebytes quarantined local.exe and local.lnk

Hi Support,
I updated to the new version of local this morning and while I was working on flywheel today, Malwarebytes quarantined the local.exe and the local.lnk files as ransomware.

Both were flagged as: Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic.

Event: RTP detection

Is this a false positive? I am concerned about restoring the files until I am sure.
Here is the log details:

Malwarebytes

-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 4/2/20
Protection Event Time: 1:50 PM
Log File: 65a620f4-750a-11ea-80d6-c07cd1fced85.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.1.0.56
Components Version: 1.0.859
Update Package Version: 1.0.21794
License: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: System

-Ransomware Details-
File: 2
Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic, C:\Users\Mick\Desktop\Local.lnk, Quarantined, 0, 392685, 0.0.0
Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic, C:\Users\Mick\AppData\Local\Programs\Local\Local.exe, Quarantined, 0, 392685, 0.0.0

Thanks
mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the report!

I just scanned 5.2.8 with VirusTotal and Malwarebytes appears to be fine there. Here is a link to the results: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/246110fbccbd0f46ecac5370d36e9bf08030ab3bfab7e6744d0447819b95eb53/detection

If you continue to get a report in Malwarebytes, please verify that you’re downloading Local from https://localwp.com.

Hi Clay
Thanks for the update. I originally downloaded Local in October and have been been using it the past few months and it has been fine. Yesterday there was a notice in the software that a new version was available so I updated it. Within a few minutes Malwarebytes quarantined those two files.

I am reluctant to release them from quarantine. Is there anything else I can check? If I uninstall and reinstall the software, what is the best way to retain the site?

Thanks!
Mick

I’m having the same files quarantined with MalwareBytes. It happens when I try to update WordPress or plugins on any local sites.
Now when I uninstall and reinstall 5.2.8, it won’t run. Nothing happens.

A few weeks ago, I decided to experiment with Local Lighting. I downloaded Local.exe from trusted site https://localwp.com version 5.2.8 +2771 and started creating my local site. Today my favorite program Malwarebytes Premium quarantined the local.exe as ransomware. I released it from quarantine and continued to use it. No damage had been found by me except the program shortcut at the desktop was disappeared. But who knows what I’ll face in the future?

Dear Clay, ransomware is a form of malware that locks you out of your device and/or encrypts your files, then forces you to pay a ransom to get them back. Ransomware can reach systems in many ways from infected email attachments to targeted attacks on RDP ports. Do not underestimate it. You know it better than me as Product Architect, Developer Experience and so on. Fix it. Something is not legal probably in user account control (Windows common processor(?). Otherwise Local Lighting has no future on the market.

Having the same issue here with latest local and latest malwarebytes. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.