Open site shell opens and quits in Mac OS Big Sur

Bug Summary

Right clicking the site name and selecting open site shell opens a terminal window. The following output occurs:

**$** /Users/djave_co/Library/Application\ Support/Local/ssh-entry/iLyU0kruE.sh ; exit;
Setting Local environment variables...
----
WP-CLI: WP-CLI 2.5.0
Composer: 2.1.5 2021-07-23
PHP: 7.3.5
MySQL: mysql Ver 8.0.16 for macos10.14 on x86_64 (MySQL Community Server - GPL)
----
Launching shell: /bin/bash ...
The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

And it logs out / exits.

Steps to reproduce

Right click site name a click open site shell.

Environment Info

iMac 21.5 inch 2017
macOS Big Sur 11.5.2
Local 6.1.2+5473

Supporting info

Please provide your Local Log.

No errors in log.

Include any screenshots or video recordings of the issue to help others reproduce.

The new default shell in macOS is zsh. It is no longer bash. That seems like a system request and not a Local thing.

FWIW, I’ve been using zsh and I really don’t notice a difference except Oh my ZSH! Is awesome.

Hey @djave Thanks for writing in about this – I’ve moved the topic to the Support category for the moment until we can get more reliable recreation steps.

I sometimes encounter this if there’s any sort of interactive prompt or otherwise non-zero exit code during the terminal start-up.

Typically this happens if I try and open a site-shell and oh-my-zsh prompts me for an update. The fix for me is to open a completely blank terminal and run the update (or tell Oh-my-zsh to stop nagging me) which then allows the shell to open cleanly.

As a test, I changed my shell back to bash to see if I could open a terminal with it and it appears to work:

@djave – I slowed the video down to .25 speed and watched the title bar. It looks like there’s a number of things running (many of them make sense, because it’s setting up the environment) but a few might be causing issues.

As a test, can you open a new, plain terminal (ie, don’t use Local’s “Open site shell”) and let us know a little more info about the exit code for the last command? You can use this to print it out, and anything other than zero indicates that there was some sort of error running the last code:

echo $?

Thanks guys, I updated zsh and everything started working.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.