Run WP-Cron Regularly

On my live servers, which I’ve set up with SpinupWP, a crontab entry exists to poke WP Cron once a minute:

*/1 * * * * cd /sites/example.com/files/; /usr/local/bin/wp cron event run --due-now >/dev/null 2>&1

Can there be some feature added, or extension made, to achieve this same thing for Local sites? Maybe with an on-off switch in the site settings? Sometimes I need to test something like what kind of automatic emails go out for a membership system when someone expires, and this is much harder to do on Local because WP Cron only runs when the site is accessed. I know that I could probably do this manually, but it feels like the sort of thing that should be provided as an option in Local somehow.

I’ve always found the simplest way to test WP-Cron is using WP-CLI.

Yes, using the CLI makes sense. But what I was saying would be nice is a way for it to be automatically run at certain intervals, say once a minute or such. Otherwise, either through a CLI script we write, or by reloading a page, that is what would be needed to trigger cron. I can definitely do that, write a script that is, but it just feels like something like this should be a feature of Local, either built in or via extension. I’ve just run into enough cases where things happen via cron that would be nice to not need to manually trigger the cron in order to test out locally.

I totally understand. I’ve been working on the Rollback Auto Update feature for over a year and it only runs during WP-cron.