Running Local alongside an Express App [GraphQL]

I have a (mostly) headless WP project that is setup like so:

• WP Admin used for content management
  • Front end React app that fetches data from GraphQL
  • GraphQL server that communicates with WP Rest API (with some Redis in the middle)

On older version of Local, this wasn’t a problem because all WP host handling with inside Virtualbox but now I’m having a hard time getting GraphQL and Local to coexist.

If both are present in /etc/hosts it causes a clash on the localhost IP (both servers are competing for 127.0.0.1). I’ve been trying to adjust the NGINX settings in /Local Sites/site-name/conf/nginx/ but when I try something like this, it hasn’t helped, even after restarting nginx:

server {
    listen 80;
    listen [::]:80;
    server_name apiurl.test;

location / {
        proxy_pass localhost:4444;
    }
}

Current Status
WIth hosts file like so:

127.0.0.1	apiurl.test

## Local by Flywheel - Start ##
::1 wpsite.test #Local Site
127.0.0.1 wpsite.test #Local Site

I can access GraphQL at http://apiurl.test:4444/graphql but I cannot access WordPress admin or front end; Local shows a red banner with a port conflict error.

If I remove the apiurl.test line from hosts file and turn off the GraphQL server, I can access WordPress just fine.

Goals

• Have a custom domain for local API
    • I’s okay if it has to have explicit port numbers, so apiurl.test or apiurl.test:4444 would be a success
  • Have custom domain for multisite WordPress install
  • Be able to access each of them via HTTP

I suspect the solution lies in configuring Local’s NGINX conf in a certain way. Does anyone have some guidance or suggestions to test drive?

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.