Trying to install locapwp under Mint 22

Trying to install LocalWP under Linux Mint 22 and get the following error message through the installer.
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable:libincurses5

Any suggestions as to a workaround welcome.

Thx

Just installed it on my WIn 11 laptop which doesn’t meet the Microsoft hardware specs and its working fine. Guess this is why Linux only has 4% market share.
But I will still persevere with Linux Mint as I really rather like it.

1 Like

Hello!

The issue is due to libncurses5 being considered legacy, despite even today, literally years later being a dependency for various applications. Local included.

The easiest fix would be for WPEngine/Flywheel to move it along to ncurses6. which is more widely available. An immediate fix in your case is possible but comes with risks if you are not confident bringing in packages from Ubuntu 22.04 without it interfering with the rest of your system.

The 22.04 package can be found here : https://packages.ubuntu.com/jammy/libncurses5

There is other posts relating to this throughout the forum, for example : https://community.localwp.com/t/i-can-not-install-localwp-into-ubuntu-23-10-because-comes-back-with-error-dependency-is-not-satisfiable-libncurses5/38920/4

I’ll take this opportunity to urge WPEngine to consider resolving this dependency issue, or better still, release Local as a Flatpak, Snap or even a AppImage…

1 Like

Thanks for your input. Have given up on LocalWP in my Mint environment and will just use it on my WIn 11 laptop.
In the meantime I have installed and am running Kinsta/Docker which seems to work equally as well.

2 Likes

Hi @FoZ_BoX and @tutilld thank you for all of your communication and feedback here. We do have this on our roadmap to address but have had to prioritize other work for the time being. The vast majority of our users are on Windows, followed by MacOS, so that is where the bulk of our work is focused. That said, as mentioned we do intend to get this addressed in the near future. Thank you again for your patience with us.

1 Like