Ability to download/change specific PHP versions

Would it be possible to show a wider range of PHP versions that you can download?

Right now we show four versions of PHP to select from. With one that comes shipped with the app and three others that we can download if needed.

Could we have in the preferences menu an option to show all PHP versions to download or PHP versions to display in the PHP version dropdown shown on the install step/overview?

I know there are some client sites that need plugins that rely on very specific versions of PHP and having just the four options limits what can be done.

I’m not sure how practical this is right now, since each version has to be compiled by the Local developers and might even be directly paired up with other services (like nginx).

That said, maybe a method of using custom versions entirely, where you point Local to the executable elsewhere on your computer, would be a possibility in the future for all these lightning-services. Actually, doing that may be a way to also streamline things such as native support on Apple Silicon, as well as being able to use precisely the build flags for PHP your web server uses, to better mirror the live config in Local.

But I don’t think something like that is too practical, as these services are built directly for Local and I’m not sure Local can be quite Local as a tool that generally just works if they need to support any version of any of these services, including those some of us already have anyway via Homebrew.

This would be helpful for our support team to reproduce issues on customer websites. Even having one version per PHP minor version (7.0, 7.1, etc.) would be sufficient. We don’t need anything more specific than that.

4 Likes

My team is developing multiple plugins that have PHP 7.0 as a minimum requirement, so it would be lovely to have more minor versions to test with. Another option would be to have the ability to manually add more versions.

2 Likes

This would be a great tool for plugin developers as the ability to switch to a particular version of PHP would allow a lot of debugging.

I am a local beginner. I’ve only been using it for 1-2 months.

I need to test a plugin I developed on top of php7.0.0 and wordpress 4.9.22,
I would like to know how to manually install or downgrade to php7.0.0 and wordpress 4.9.22.
If I overwrite with wordpress 4.9.22 into wordpress6.1.1(rescent version), it is working well?

And How do I manually install PHP7.0.0?

Came back to see if there’s been any progress on this as I currently need to test PHP 7.0. I’m really bummed to see it’s still not possible with LocalWP, as this seems like such a core feature.

1 Like

I would like this feature as well as I do WordPress plugin support.

I’m also a developer who needs to support older PHP versions, and the small list of options limits Local’s usefulness to me.

I would need older PHP Versions as well.

I also need this.