30 hours lost b/c no notice about restarting Chrome

What issue or error are you experiencing?

This is the kind of thing that makes me hate coding. I had a very productive couple of days working in LocalWP. I pushed my changes to the production server and it worked great!

I even saved the code twice - once with UpdraftPlus and once by exporting from LocalWP. You can’t be too safe, right?

With these backups available, I decided to clean up LocalWP and reload the project from the exported backup. I had been doing a lot of testing and playing around with the code and I wanted to make sure that I was using the exact code running on the production server to continue making changes for production. Only the project did not work and there were no obvious errors to pinpoint the issue.

Not a problem. I also made a backup with UpdraftPlus, so I started a plain WP site in LocalWP and loaded the updraft backup onto that instance. It still didn’t work.

I double checked the recaptcha to make sure the development domain was registered correctly, and I did the same with the Google Maps API - which is used to show maps of rental properties.

Nothing on my machine changed except to upgrade to the latest version of LocalWP. So I deleted all projects from LocalWP and then uninstalled LocalWP. I rolled back to the last version of LocalWP and retried all of my testing.

It still failed.

It seemed to be failing when it tries to assign a value to an object that is empty like this…

$data->PropID = $_GET[‘obj’][‘PropID’];

But this couldn’t be a code issue. If it were, the same code, same database data, etc. would be breaking on the staging and production servers. It wasn’t.

I worked all night exporting updraft backups and installing them into LocalWP with the same result each time.

Until today, when I came across a post from 2018 that mentioned that Chrome browsers on Windows needed to be restarted to recognize the new SSL certificate that LocalWP created. In my case, this is important because of the recaptcha settings that we use to protect consumer CC info.

When I restarted Chrome, everything worked.

I would, perhaps, suggest that the woefully inadequate tooltip for trusting SSL…

be slightly changed to add in the part about restarting Chrome in Windows before the SSL actually works.


What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc


System Details

  • Local Version:

  • Operating System (OS) and OS version:


Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)


Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

SSL is weird on the Mac too, but in a different way (you need to manually toggle all trust settings on the cert in Keychain Access). Local really should improve the tooltips for both of these issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion to improve the tooltip to prompt users to restart their browser, @jim_hubbard. I’m sorry for the time you lost here.

I’ve filed this as an issue in our tracking system.

1 Like