After change .TLD, new domain fails to provision / load

Hi folks,
I had always used .dev TLDs for my development websites, and of course, Google ruined that for all of us recently when they made those changes to the .dev TLD. So, I went through to update my dev URLs in Local (the software), from .dev to .local, as seems to be the new standard.

The first time I did it, my Local (software) seemingly couldn’t get past the ‘Provisioning’ stage. MacOS did ping me for my admin username which makes sense, as I assume Local (software) changes the hosts file.

So, I ended up having to kill Local and load it back up. Once I loaded it. it did look like my new domain had taken effect, but I wasn’t able to visit the dev site with that new domain. Either it would forward to the old one (.dev) or there would be an ICANN rejection error, or the .local would hang.

I tried doing it twice and the same steps happened. Freezing on provisioning and then sites failing to load.

Any suggestions? Figure I might be able to rewrite my hosts file, but I didn’t want to get in the way of this. FYI, I’m on a MacOS latest, running the latest version of Local.

P.s., do you folks ever hate how the software is called ‘Local,’ making writing questions like this really hard to put into words needing to differentiate between the software, the TLD, and the word ‘Local’? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the trouble! The .dev change has definitely been frustrating.

Regarding the domain change, there may be some hints in the local-by-flywheel.log file. If possible, can you please provide your local-by-flywheel.log file? See
"How do I retrieve Local’s log file?" for instructions on how to do so.

Thanks for the quick response Clay, I’ve snipped out the relevant log information from Jan 3rd and on, local-by-flywheel-jan-3-2018.log (32.3 KB)
and uploaded it.

Let me know what you think. Also thanks for the quick responses… You guys do a great job with that.

Hi Mike,

I’m seeing a number of errors relating to MySQL having trouble connecting to its socket. This line for example:

Error: (HTTP code 500) server error - Container 5d95fa645c68ef06372f35c73c437a33d03bc0c92c675634dfe16122efeb1e25 is not running

makes me think that perhaps the MySQL container isn’t starting for some reason.

@mikem – When you said that the sites would forward to dev – “Either it would forward to the old one (.dev)”

Did you try accessing those sites in a different browser or in an incognito window? I’m asking because that sounds like the site being forwarded might be a cached version. I’d like to ensure that things are broken consistently – if MySQL is down, then none of the sites should be working.

Does that make sense? :wink:

– Ben

@mikem,

I’m seeing that stopSite() is being called right before changeSiteDomain() which shouldn’t happen unless something is clicked.

Are you stopping the site prior to changing the site domain?