Browsersync will not load localhost:3000

Issue Summary

I’m trying to use Browsersync (in proxy mode) with either Gulp or Webpack. (Have tried both repeatedly and on several sites). Configurations that used to work now will not open the localhost site. The new window opens up on start, but is completely blank (no source code) and nothing in the console.

Seems to be similar to the following issues -

I’ve tried several of the tweaks that I’ve found suggested here and in other forums to no avail. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?
    All

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?
    Yes

Replication

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?
    6.6.0+6231

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?
    macOS Monterey

• Attach the Local Log. See this Help Doc for instructions on how to do so:

Security Reminder

Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @irenehardy

Configurations that used to work now will not open the localhost site.

So this used to work normally, but then something changed? Was there a specific Local or OS update where this stopped working?

Can you share a copy of your local log? Retrieving Local’s Log File

It definitely worked as late as last August '22, and I believe it worked in November '22 as well… (Looking back at the git repo for this particular project). Unfortunately, work on this site is fairly intermittent so I can’t pin it down to a specific Local or OS version.

I’ve attached the local logs. Let me know what else would be helpful!
local-logs2.zip (124.9 KB)

Hi @irenehardy

Thank you for the follow-up and logs. I checked with the dev team on this, and in order to troubleshoot further they asked if you could provide some screenshots and sample commands. Essentially we need a bit more information to be able to replicate what you’re seeing and what may be causing trouble. Let us know if you can share more of those details and we’ll be happy to take a look and try to figure out any points of conflict.

Absolutely! Thanks for looking into it.

I’ve attached a zip file with two config files showing the issue in both gulp & webpack. (local domains have been redacted for client privacy)

This is a screenshot of what I see whenever it’s trying to connect to browsersync. It just hangs endlessly on this blank screen.

Let me know what else would be helpful!

Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 10.16.49 AM|546x500

sample configs.zip (2.3 KB)

Hey @irenehardy – Thanks for those extra details.

It’s hard to know for sure what’s going on without seeing actual errors within the Browser console, but one thing I notice is that the gulpfile.js config is using https as opposed to regular http. My guess is that Browsersync is having issues connecting over HTTPS to the Local site.

I know that it’s possible to get Browsersync to work with an HTTPS backend, but I’ve always felt that it’s been finicky and more trouble than it’s worth. As a start, I would try making the site in Local be served over regular HTTP and then change the proxy value to use the regular HTTP protocol, like this:

http://example.local

Can you give that a try and let us know how it goes?

1 Like

Thank you for this! I was able to get it working using the regular HTTP protocol. It’s not a perfect solution, since sometimes there’s a need to work on HTTPS, but should be workable for now. Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @irenehardy -

Thank you for letting us know it worked for you, please don’t hesitate to reach out again in the future!

Sam

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.