Can not install LocalWP ver. 8.0.0 on Ubuntu 23.10

What issue or error are you experiencing?

I can not install LocalWP version 8.0.0 in Ubuntu 23.10 official released version.
I was advised to install the rpm package although Ubuntu runs on deb packages.
The program installs but when I to install a site I get the following screen.

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

Screenshot from 2023-10-18 13-18-47

System Details

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @Scotty

Have you tried our latest release 8.0.1?

Why were you advised to install the RPM package instead of the one below?

Download Local 8.0.1 as Linux deb (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint)

Hello @Nick-B , i have the same problem with ubuntu 23.10 and local 8.0.1 (I downloaded the version you recommended)

So you can download Local but when you try to create a site it gives you the error from above?

Can you share your Local Logs here? There are some different ways to access and share Local Logs. For us to be able to troubleshoot thoroughly, please click the Download Local Logs button from the Support tab in Local. This will generate a zip archive that contains the Local log along with some other diagnostic information to help quickly zero in on any issues that Local is encountering.

Ok, the problem was in libaio and after I installed libaio I encountered a new problem - libncurses5. In new version of Ubuntu libncurses5 is missing, and this is a big problem unfortunately

Regarding libncurses5 there should be some more details on this thread that are helpful:

Thank you @Nick-B !
@scotty I think we can summarize that to install localwp in ubuntu 23.10
you need to install libaio1
and also download and install
libtinfo5_6.4-2ubuntu0.1_amd64.deb
and
libncurses5_6.4-2ubuntu0.1_amd64.deb

it works for me

1 Like

Dear Nick, do you think it’s possible to run local at Ubuntu 23.10 in locals coming updates?

@edwin

We don’t have an ETA to provide but for the near future it will be necessary to do some of the workarounds mentioned to get things working. For more details as to why and when things might change you can see the comment here:

Thank you NIck. I was not succesfull to install these workarounds. It would be great if adress of these downloads could be mentioned on your faq page.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.