LocalWP not loading on Ubuntu 23.10

What issue or error are you experiencing?

LocalWP will not install on Ubuntu 23.10. This is not a new problem. It is an ongoing problem but nothing is being done about it.

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

System Details

• Local Version:

• Operating System (OS) and OS version:
    Ubuntu 23.10

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @Scotty! The good news is that the fix for this is on the roadmap and will be rolled out in the near future. We don’t have a specific ETA to provide, but it is planned and in the pipeline. For now, the previous workarounds provided in other forum threads with this error will still be viable.

Hi! I wanted to share a step by step guide which helped me to work around this issue, so others can solve this problem quickly:

Download two files (there is a link to the downloadable files in the following two links):
Ubuntu – Package Download Selection -- libtinfo5_6.4-2ubuntu0.1_amd64.deb
Ubuntu – Package Download Selection -- libncurses5_6.4-2ubuntu0.1_amd64.deb

Open the terminal:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

add at the last line (quit the letter s, only http):

deb https://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lunar-security main universe

write the command : ctrl + o (save the changes)
write the command: ctrl + x (exit)

cp to your downloaded files

sudo apt-get install ./<libtinfo5* filename you just downloaded>
sudo apt-get install ./<libncurses5* filename you just downloaded>

Finally you can install local WP.

This solution is a combination of following two posts:

1. I can not install LocalWP into Ubuntu 23.10 because comes back with "Error : Dependency is not satisfiable libncurses5" - #4 by Miro
  2. I can not install LocalWP into Ubuntu 23.10 because comes back with "Error : Dependency is not satisfiable libncurses5" - #5 by Cyborg42

The solution of the second post did not work for me. Therefore, I decided to write a new step by step guide. Since this is the only thread which is still open for this issue, I thought I can share it here.

2 Likes