Cannot open site after changing router mode

What issue or error are you experiencing?

I was expericencing extreme slowness, so I changed the router mode from localhost to Site Domains. Now, when I try to open a site I get the error:

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at http://earthssecret.local/wp-admin/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED


What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

Not Sure.


System Details

  • Local Version:
    9.0.1+6673

  • Operating System (OS) and OS version:
    Windows 11 Pro
    Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631


Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)

local-lightning.log (481.2 KB)


Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @sgradle

If you change back to LocalHost does it give you a new/different error?

Since the domain name changes when you switch Router Modes you might need to try clearing your browser cache or using an incognito window in case that is getting in the way.

For performance issues you can check through our guide here.

Hi Nick,

No, nothing worked after restarting, using Incognito mode, or any other browser. When I switched it back everything worked again, but it was all extremely slow. I have been through all of the suggestions in the link you shared. This was my latest attempt. Honestly, it’s getting pretty frustrating.

So is it just your specific site that you’re working on that is slow? Or is your Local app and machine slow to use? If you create a new site and access that is it slow too?

The machine is fine. It’s every site I work on in Local.

Did you test the Windows specific items in that performance guide?

Yes, I did all of those things.

If you want to refresh you could try a full uninstall/reinstall. You’d first want to back up your sites. The steps would look like this:

  • Export any sites that you have on Local and save them to a folder somewhere on your computer.

  • Fully uninstall Local from your computer.

  • Install the latest version of Local on this link.

  • Once installed, please restart the computer.

  • When the computer is restarted and turned on, close any applications that automatically run in the background (AntiVirus, Firewall, and other Developer applications included).

  • Check and see if the issue still persists with a new, blank site before re-importing your others.