Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket

I’ve hung on to Local by Flywheel, and this week I tried Local Lightning. It’s been underwhelming.

First, I realized that Sequel Pro no longer works because it doesn’t support MySQL 8. No warnings that the MySQL version had been upgraded and that I had to download a nightly build of Sequel Pro.

Now, I find that wp db commands don’t work too. Here’s what I get:

$ wp db export
mysqldump: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) when trying to connect

I thought Local was supposed to be fully baked and a safe upgrade from Local by Flywheel. What gives?

1 Like

Hi David,

Thanks for giving Local Lightning a try!

Local 5.6.8 resolves the socket issue with most of the WP-CLI DB commands.

As far as Sequel Pro goes, it looks like you’ve found the nightly version which is indeed the best course of action there. We’re looking into adding integrations/buttons for other tools like TablePlus since Sequel Pro is largely an abandoned project at this point. Additionally, you can always use MySQL 5.7 with new Local sites (exporting and importing works if you need to switch existing sites to MySQL 5.7).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.