Error setting up host only network on machine start: The host-only adapter we just created is not visible

Trying to get Local 2.2.3 working on a MacBook Pro running 10.13.3. with Virtual Box 5.2.4. but I get this error:

“Error creating machine: Error in driver during machine creation: Error setting up host only network on machine start: The host-only adapter we just created is not visible. This is a well known VirtualBox bug. You might want to uninstall it and reinstall at least version 5.0.12 that is is supposed to fix this issue”

Looking at the logs, I find this:

Feb 2, 2018, 8:58 AM PST - info: [main/docker-create-machine] (local-by-flywheel) Starting the VM...
Feb 2, 2018, 8:58 AM PST - info: [main/docker-create-machine] (local-by-flywheel) Check network to re-create if needed...
Feb 2, 2018, 8:58 AM PST - info: [main/docker-create-machine] (local-by-flywheel) Creating a new host-only adapter produced an error: /usr/local/bin/VBoxManage hostonlyif create failed:
Feb 2, 2018, 8:58 AM PST - info: [main/docker-create-machine] (local-by-flywheel) 0%...
Feb 2, 2018, 8:58 AM PST - info: [main/docker-create-machine] (local-by-flywheel) Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
Feb 2, 2018, 8:58 AM PST - info: [main/docker-create-machine] (local-by-flywheel) VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
Feb 2, 2018, 8:58 AM PST - info: [main/docker-create-machine] (local-by-flywheel) VBoxManage: error: VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: No such file or directory
Feb 2, 2018, 8:58 AM PST - info: [main/docker-create-machine] (local-by-flywheel) VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component HostNetworkInterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
Feb 2, 2018, 8:58 AM PST - info: [main/docker-create-machine] (local-by-flywheel) VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleCreate(HandlerArg *)" at line 94 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp

I have tried everything I have found online to fix this, but nothing seems to work. Has anyone figured this out?

Thanks
Rex

Hi Rex,

Sorry for the trouble!

Have you tried running this command in Terminal and then approving the VirtualBox/Oracle extension in System Preferences » Security & Privacy?

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/LaunchDaemons/VirtualBoxStartup.sh restart

I have, I get this:

/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
Error: Failed to load /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext
Loading VBoxUSB.kext
/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxUSB.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
Error: Failed to load /Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxUSB.kext
Loading VBoxNetFlt.kext

Got it.

After you run that command, do you see the “Allow” button in System Preferences » Security & Privacy?

If so, you may need to click on the “Allow” button and then re-run that command.

Yes that Allow button is showing up for Oracle. I have used this button to install lots of software, usually when I click it, tho an installer then opens. Nothing seems to happen when I click it in this situation. Running the script after clicking Allow gives me this:

/Library/Application Support/VirtualBox/VBoxDrv.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

is there a way to load it with kextutil? I tried and couldn’t get that to work either