Fresh install on windows 10

Hello Everyone,

I’m excited to be apart of your community.
Sadly I can’t seem to get local installed and working on my computer :frowning:
Here’s the “full story”

Downloaded program
started install
left to use bathroom
came back to error
uninstalled all programs associated (through control panel>program manager)
Attempted to reinstall
local by flywheel stuck on “Starting Local Machine” (no “installation” screen appeared)
Uninstalled program again
removed downloaded program “local-by-flywheel-2-2-4-windows”
Ran disk cleanup
Shut down & started computer
downloaded program
attempted install again
local by flywheel stuck on “Starting Local Machine” (no “installation” screen appeared)
Uninstalled program again
removed downloaded program “local-by-flywheel-2-2-4-windows”
Ran disk cleanup
Shut down for the night
Started computer this morning
downloaded program
attempted install again

Not sure what my next steps are but here are the local’s logs local-by-flywheel.log (14.4 KB)

Would you be able to tell me how I can fix this?

Thank you for your time and I look forward your reply.

Cheers,
Ash

Hello Everyone,
I’ve tried a number of different times now and still have yet to successfully install local…
The install fails or pauses every time, I have even tried it on one of my other computers with no luck.
I will upload all the docs below

local-by-flywheel.log (981 Bytes)

Here is the log and error message from my attempt on my other computerlocal-by-flywheel.log (5.0 KB)

any ideas on how to fix this ?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to you reply.

Cheers,
Ash

Hello Everyone,

Any hopes of getting this fixed?

I really want to use the flywheel development platform…

Cheers,
Ash

Hi @Ash.svice.ca

That error about VT-X/AMD-v not being enabled means that virtualization isn’t available. You can try to reboot your machine and see if there is an option within the BIOS for that. Here is a community forum post detailing that:

If you aren’t able to enable this setting in the BIOS, then you might not be able to run Local on this computer. :frowning:

Let us know how it goes!

– Ben

Hello @ben.turner,

I had it enabled on both machines on my second attempt at install and still had the errors…

Any idea what I could try next?

Cheers,
Ash

Can you try completely uninstalling both Local and Virtualbox?

You can follow the instructions in the FAQ: How do I uninstall Local on Windows?

Once everything has been removed, try restarting your computer, and then re-installing Local.

If that still doesn’t work, can you provide me with an updated version of your Local Log?

– Ben

Just for a little backstory on why I’m recommending you try that – within the above log there are these warnings:

Mar 14, 2018, 11:48 AM PDT - warn: [main/docker-machine] C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe showvminfo local-by-flywheel --machinereadable failed:
Mar 14, 2018, 11:48 AM PDT - warn: [main/docker-machine] VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the VirtualBox object!
Mar 14, 2018, 11:48 AM PDT - warn: [main/docker-machine] VBoxManage.exe: error: Code REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG (0x80040154) - Class not registered (extended info not available)
Mar 14, 2018, 11:48 AM PDT - warn: [main/docker-machine] VBoxManage.exe: error: Most likely, the VirtualBox COM server is not running or failed to start.

I’ve never seen this error: VBoxManage.exe: error: Code REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG so I tried Googling, which took me to this Stackoverflow question: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31642333/virtualbox-callee-rc-regdb-e-classnotreg-0x80040154

It makes me wonder if the Virtualbox configuration was corrupted somehow.

– Ben

Hello @ben.turner,

When I completely uninstall both Local and Virtualbox, run a disk clean up, restart and attempt to reinstall I get the errors from my second message

local-by-flywheel.log (981 Bytes)
Here is what both the Local and Virtualbox screens look like

Thank you for all your help getting this figured out :smile:
I really appreciate all the help.

Cheers,
Ash

Hey @Ash.svice.ca – That second error still looks like the hardware on your machine isn’t able to run virtualization software.

To give you a better idea of what is happening – Local uses Virtualbox to create a virtual machine where all of your WordPress sites will live during development.

In order for the virtual machine to have access to things like the Processor, RAM, or the network cards, it needs to have a sort of abstraction layer to these things.

Most newer hardware has this abstraction enabled by default, but older hardware didn’t have this abstraction. There’s a sort of “somewhat older” hardware that was able to run this mode, but you have to make changes to the BIOS.

Ok, so you said that you checked the BIOS and things appear to be set – I googled “window 10 doesn’t allow VTX” --> https://www.google.com/search?q=window+10+doesn’t+allow+VTX&oq=window+10+doesn’t+allow+VTX

which lead me to this SuperUser question: https://superuser.com/questions/1153470/vt-x-is-not-available-but-is-enabled-in-bios

You might try some of the things outlined in those answers, specifically disabling Hyper-V.

I wish I had more to go on, but I don’t have a Windows Box, so I’m not quite sure what to do next.

– Ben