How do I add multiple developers to work on a local site?

This is my first time using a local host to develop a site and I’m not sure how to add multiple developers. Is that possible? If so, how since the wp login url only appears to work for me. Thank you!

I think I just figured it out!I have to use the “live link” url instead of the local url and include “/wp-admin/” at the end like normal, like this: http://7009b93e.ngrok.io/wp-admin/

I’ll send this to my developer to make sure it works but if someone reads this and can confirm/deny for me, that would be awesome!

Hey @Whitney. I can see the site via the ngrok URL.

Hi Whitney, I tried this but couldn’t sign into site. It keep asking me to turn ‘cookies’ on. Do you have a work around for this?

Hey Whitney!

Yes the Live Link feature works for that situation, just keep in mind that the navigation will be slow, since the whole site will be served from your machine. In order for the Live Link to be active, the computer must be on and running Local.

Ok great, thank you! x

Is there a better way to work with a team of people on a local site or is this the only way?

Hey Whitney,

It depends a lot on the size of the team and the expertise.
Generally versioning (Git, Mercurial, SVN) is used to sync the work between the developers.

If you are not a developer with a team of developers, I would advise to use a free host (like 000webhost or to buy a host in order to upload the site to a server and everyone would be able to edit posts/pages and edit everything with a better perfomance than the Live Link feature.

Hey Whitney, Jack here.
Live Links are great for reviewing a site together with someone (like in a meeting or call), but they won’t work great for collaborating on a site.
I’d suggest hopping over to Flywheel for a demo site (or if you’re already a customer use a staging site).

Since there isn’t a way to merge databases, you’ll typically only want to make code (not content) changes in Local.

PS: You’re welcome to make content changes in Local but they can’t be merged with changes that collaborators are making. This is an eternal problem for WordPress. We’re thinking about better ways to do this in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, ok. I was using Siteground before and that was easy for multiple people to work on the same site. Wasn’t sure how easy that was for local but sounds like Siteground may be a better fit… bummer, I really loved the Flywheel set up!

Flywheel can totally host your website and give you collaborative access to your site! Local is typically used by devs for theme/plugin development. Want me to connect you with someone at Flywheel to help you get started?