How to migrate a local flywheel site to live website hosting account

I didn’t know that. Very interesting. You are completely correct that the plug-in is out-of-date. Probably just use “Regenerate Thumbnails”. It has over 1,000,000 active installs. I’ll need to give it a try too.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Hi,

Thanks frederickd :slight_smile:

Very helpful…

Steve

Is it likely that everyone would need to purchase the plugin unlimited option because they are uploading a file over 512MB? My site is rather small, so I’m surprised I went over the threshold…

PS. I downloaded once, under the threshold, then downloaded again after installing the Regnerate Thumbnails plugin, and was over. I uninstalled Regnerate Thumbnails, but still end up with a larger file on export.

I am hesitant to pay for the upgrade as the smaller file that I did have did not do anything on import. No files or content came with and I don’t know where I went wrong. Help?

#noob

I even removed extra themes and plugins. The site only has five pages and a handful of images… Just not sure what I’m doing :frowning:

I am having the same issue with size. I cannot upload the local site to the live site because it exceeds the maximum upload.

1 Like

I’ve tried several times to export my site from local on my machine to a remote server - using ‘all in one wp migration’ plug-in. When its uploaded although i can then log in to admin on the remote site, when i try to view my site it reverts to the local address and I’m unable to load. Can’t work out what i’m doing wrong?

Good explanation. Does that mean you could migrate in those 3 steps, rather than trying to do it all at once?

I got to the import stage and it turns out that there is a max file upload size: 64MB.

Here’s how to make this thread more helpful if you run into filesize upload problems.

First of all, you can try to increase your filesize in your PHP Options in cPanel:
cPanel > Software > Select PHP Version > upload_max_filesize

My host only allows a max of 64MB, so I had to use FTP.

Here’s the next steps I performed to get to success:

I exported in batches (in Step 3c: using All-in-One’s advanced options, selecting various boxes) and then imported them as described in step 3d.

• I used FTP to upload my images (my Wordpress media library was over the 64MB limit).
  • I compared my local site folder structure with the live site folder structure inside the FTP - and shifted a couple of misfiled uploaded folders to their correct place in the structure.
    –The main issue was some CSS files that for some reason are meant to be inside the uploads folder. It was Elementor Page Builder CSS. The final step was to check go to my Wordpress dashboard > Elementor > Tools and regenerate the CSS file.

That’s definitely an option. Sometimes that’s required due to how a hosting company has setup the infrastructure. As you mentioned, FTP’ing is often the better approach for uploading files, but again each hosting company can be a little different in terms of what they allow.

Guys, what about uploading a site for the very first time? Everybody talks about installing this in local site and then do the same in production site… as there is one already there…
If I am uploading from local to production with no installation in production, how can I do it? Do I have to install an empty WP?
Thanks

1 Like

I followed all the steps several times. I also read about the support provided by All-in-One WP Migration. I can guarantee this tools no longer works as described here.
The tool stops at 100% (uploading the file) and nothing happens. Despite of increasing the memory, size to upload and post size.
I also tried downloading the app the owner of the plugin offers to “uncompress” the file so we can upload it through FTP, and the file is not even started in Windows.
So the solution proposed here, no longer works. I am looking for a way to migrate the whole site, including the database to a production site. Please advise.
Thanks;

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Is there any other solution? What about Duplicator?

@frederickd the second plug-in should be Force REgerate. You have it correct in the lower mention, but I could not find this initially in the WP plugins.

Hi all especially those who asked the question of having file size upload limitations
@rmiladelaroca @fly @kallard @andreakaye316
Not sure if you guys have found the solution. The file size limits could be set by your hosting company. If it is a cheap plan, they are going to be crazy strict. This is for All In One importer. It works like a charm but importing it into the remote server can be a major headache. I was breaking my head over it. I had a limit of 8 to 10MB.

This extension is from the creator of the All In One plugin.
https://help.servmask.com/knowledgebase/file-extension-user-guide/#:~:text=Our%20Free%20All-in-One,File%20Extension%20and%20your%20website.

Upload this plugin to your hosted site. It increased my backup database file size to 512MB. Read the important error I made which I realized after quite a few attempts:

When you export the site from your Flywheel Local desktop installation, using the All In One plugin, it generated a huge .file with extension .WPRESS in the app/public/wp-content/ folder. This is what you will import to the remote server.
The issue is that you may have installed lot of other plugins on your local site. The backups are also saved by default under wp-content folder. Make sure you move this .WPRESS folder to your desktop.
In my case, I had other plugins, themes that a default Wordpress install comes with and this WPRESS file which ballooned my file to export to 800MB. All these add to the bloat of the .WPRESS file.

This is my experience which I have included here. If it is of help to anyone, I am glad. A big shout out to @frederickd who explained the how to for using AIO plugin. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.