Lost Site - It's just disappeared

Issue Summary

Hi
I built a site on Local a month ago. It was looking great. I have just gone into Local to launch the site and all I see is a ‘Sample Page’ - it’s gone. Any thoughts on where it might have gone to?

Thanks
Rob

One or two sentence summary of the issue.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?

Replication

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

• For example: macOS Catalina or Windows 10 Professional
  • Attach the Local Log. See this Help Doc for instructions on how to do so:

Security Reminder

Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @RobB - can you share either your Local log file or screenshots of what you are seeing? I’m not sure I’m following what you are describing.

The site is completely gone within the Local UI? Or it is in Local, but when you launch the site you’re not seeing the changes you made previously?

Depending on your operating system, Local stores site files in the home directory under Local Sites - for me, it is Users/{user.name}/Local Sites/MySite. If you right-click on a site’s name in Local, you can reveal the files in Finder as well.

Thanks,
Austin

Hi
Sorry, it is just a ‘Hello World’ sample page. I had built a (very simple) site. I can see the folders and it all looks to be there - or at least the photos are there. But when I launch the site - nothing. I suspect it is pointing at the wrong file after updating.

How do I find the log file?

Thanks
Rob

Here is a link to how to retrieve Local’s logs - * Retrieving Local’s Log

If you open WP Admin for your site, do you see your images in the media library?

Thanks,
Austin

Hi Austin

Yes, I do. But there are none of the pages/posts I produced.

Thanks
Rob

local-lightning1.log.zip (5.2 MB)

Hi Austin

Where would I find the posts and pages?

Thanks
Rob

Hey @RobB,

Posts and pages are stored in your WordPress database - specifically, posts go into wp_posts.

I don’t see anything troublesome in your logs. It is possible that somehow the posts you built didn’t save to the database. If you go to your /wp-admin page, what does your Posts page look like?

Here is mine, for example, with the Hello World that comes by default:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.