Odd formatting while going to live link

Issue Summary

Hello. I’m a new local user and relatively new to Wordpress web design. I have a website ready for client draft review and I’m trying to send the live link. The link link and credentials work but there’s a significant formatting shift from what I experience in my local versus what I’m seeing on live link. I expected this in moving from staging to production but not in using the live link functionality. Any thoughts on what’s happening here? Screenshot examples of live link vs local are attached. In the live link the nav menu is fully exanded, not centered, and has odd pink formatting. Also showing a screenshot of the footer which has unexpected bullets included.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular? I only have one site at the moment.

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser? Yes.

Replication

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them! Screenshots attached

System Details

local-logs.zip (17.8 KB)

Live Link Example 2

Local Example 2

• Which version of Local is being used? V6.6.1+6281

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

• macOS Catalina 10.15.7
  • Attach the Local Log. See this Help Doc for instructions on how to do so:

• Attached

Security Reminder

Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

1 Like

Hi @kevinleeclark

Nick here following up on your support request!

Live Links don’t match your Local Site URL (ie: mysite.local), so Local attempts to rewrite these on the fly. Live Links is broadly compatible with many themes, plugins, and custom code snippets. However, some images, front-end assets, or other HTML elements may be missing from your site when viewing it over Live Links. Try the tips below:

• Run the following WP-CLI command
    wp search-replace 'SITEURL' 'LOCALURL' --skip-columns=guid

• Replace SITEURL with your production URL like https://localwp.com

• Replace LOCALURL is your Local Site URL like http://mysite.local

• Trust Local’s SSL certificate

• Disable certain types of plugins: caching, security, force HTTPS/SSL

• You can also check your plugins and themes for any cache or CSS that needs to be flushed/regenerated. The Flywheel guide to clearing your theme/plugin cache

If you have any other questions or concerns don’t hesitate to reach back out. We are always happy to help!

Hi, I am having the same issue.I can preview my website perfectly on Wodpress and elementor. But when I use the Live links, things are messed up, especially the menu on mobile.

I tried to follow the tips you mention, but I don´t know how to do that… could you maybe explain in more detail? thanks so much!

Hi @Blanca

You might need to regenerate the CSS within Elementor as well. You’ll find details in here:
The Flywheel guide to clearing your theme/plugin cache

Another issue could be mixed content, which is what I was trying to detail fixing above. For a more comprehensive guide on fixing mixed content you could start here:

If you’re still having trouble with Live Links, an alternative solution to share the site would be to push it up to a demo. Flywheel offers 14 day free demos that you utilize for example: Demo Site

1 Like

Thank you so much for the quick answer.
Actually I would be interested to know if this is just a problem when viewing it while the site is still on Local, or if the problem will remain once the website is live with a hosting?

I don’t need to share the website with anyone. So as long as I know that the website will be seen exactly as I see it on wordpress/elementor preview, I am fine (I guess?)

Hi @Blanca

No problem, I understand your concern. Issues like this will usually boil down to caching or mixed content. When you move your site to a hosting solution, generally speaking, some automatic search and replaces will usually take place when you add domains and SSLs to help clean these things up. There may need to be additional troubleshooting sometimes, which can happen no matter where you take your site. Depending on the host, they may have tools or support available to help you clean things up. These issues aren’t unique to Local however, they just come with the developing territory of making site changes and moving sites around.

Thank you Nick. So what I’m thinking is, I will just finish my site as it is and wait to publish it to see if/what things are not working.
I guess it is not worth putting too much effort into fixing how it looks on the Live link since I don´t really need it, right?

Yep! It’s just a tool that’s there in case you want to share a preview of the site. You’ll always be able to see how things look for yourself by just clicking on Open Site at the top right of your Local app.

Thanks so much Nick, you´ve been so helpful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.