Open Site Shell fails on zsh, works on bash, for some php versions (ubuntu/linux)

Issue Summary

Sites using PHP 7.4.1 and PHP 8.0 cannot “open site shell”, but Sites using PHP 7.3.5 can
This is when using the ZSH shell
When using Bash, it works fine.

The exact issue is:

See terminal output:

WP-CLI:   WP-CLI 2.5.0-alpha
Composer: 1.10.8 2020-06-24
PHP:      7.4.1
MySQL:    mysql  Ver 8.0.16 for Linux on x86_64 (MySQL Community Server - GPL)
----
Launching shell: /usr/bin/zsh ...
/usr/bin/zsh: /home/tlock/.config/Local/lightning-services/php-7.4.1+14/bin/linux/shared-libs/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /usr/bin/zsh)

Troubleshooting Questions

-Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?

all, given the conditions listed above

Replication

-Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

Use zsh shell, php 7.4 or php 8.0, on debian/ubuntu

System Details

-Which version of Local is being used?

5.9.8 (but this has been an issue from the 2 or three major versions I have used)

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

Linux - Pop OS 20.10 (ubuntu/deb) (but this has been an issue on previous OS versions 19.10, 20.04 as well)

• Attach the Local Log:

local-lightning.log (105.3 KB)

2 Likes

Bump. Would be nice to see if anyone has at least read this bug report? Thanks!

2 Likes
WP-CLI:   WP-CLI 2.5.0-alpha
Composer: 1.10.8 2020-06-24
PHP:      7.4.1
MySQL:    mysql  Ver 8.0.16 for Linux on x86_64 (MySQL Community Server - GPL)
----
Launching shell: /usr/bin/zsh ...
/usr/bin/zsh: /home/jrrodriguez/.config/Local/lightning-services/php-7.4.1+14/bin/linux/shared-libs/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /usr/bin/zsh)

Hello, I’m experiencing similar problem. When creating new site on 7.4.1 I cannot access to database through adminer or open site shell.

Local version:
Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed reports and letting us know where this is falling short. Our devs are working on a fix and should have something soon!

2 Likes

Thank you @ben.turner . Just installed 5.10.3 and checked, the problem is still present.

The only thing I use “open site shell” for is WP-CLI. Currently, I would have to change my shell from ZSH to Bash (log out and log back in), then I can. To avoid this I have been trying to use a global install of WP CLI rather than the one bundled with the Local container/VM (sorry I don’t know how Local works under the hood), but this doesn’t work for me. Will search the forums for a workaround, but if the Dev team is actively working on supporting ZSH on linux, that would be amazing!

Thanks for your reply!

1 Like

@ben.turner Hi Ben, just downloaded 5.10.4 and checked, issue is still present. Figured its worth a ping on this thread. I’ll keep pinging on releases so that this thread doesn’t auto-close.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the heads up @tlock!

There should be a fix deployed, however this had more to do with the Lightning Services (php configuration).

Right now, Local doesn’t have a good way of updating those easily, but it’s something we want to improve on. Can you try manually downloading the latest PHP Lightning Service by following the steps outlined in this FAQ:

Let me know if that fixes things for you, or if you encounter any issues along the way!

1 Like

@ben.turner thank you!

This fix works on PHP 7.4.1 which is fantastic, but persists on php 8.0.0.

We’re so close

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.