So am I to take it that Local doesn't actually work?

Hugely disappointed I have to say!

Just spent half the day setting up Local on my PC after some initial errors and issues.

I persevered with setting up a tailored blueprint to use for all new local builds and noticed it was quite slow. I finished the blueprint only to now find that I cannot edit pages - it just hangs and then crashes and the site speed is so slow that any sort of development would drive me mad.

I have read a huge amount of posts regarding site speed on Windows 10 and I find it alarming that so many users are having issues but more so that Flywheel don’t seem to have a handle on it.

I have followed all the advice on this topic and still I am no further forward.

Such a shame as this software seemed to promise so much and I hoped it would be a massive part of my development work. Oh well, back to the search for another product.

Hey Ali! How are you?

It’s a bummer that you’re experiencing those problems with Local, but can I ask some things?
What is your computer configuration/setup?

I run Local both on a MacOS and Windows 10, and have nothing to complain about it… I think it would help somehow to understand a little bit about it…
What do you say?

1 Like

Hi Atempel

Thank you for taking the time in getting back to me.

It’s just so frustrating as I what Local appears to do is exactly what I need - I just cannot get it to work in a way that is conducive to proper development. What info would you need about my config/setup?

I am using:

HP Z400
Xeon W3250 2.67G
12G RAM
250G SSD for Windows
1 TB Standard HDD
Win 10 64 Bit

Any help you could give would be much appreciated. If I can’t get some headway this week, I will have to abandon Local and try another application.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Regards,

Ali

1 Like

Wow great setup!

But ok… I found the possible issue.
Even being a Xeon, your processor is from 2009, so there are some differences in resources and technologies that may act against virtualization. Basically, what I went after was the ability to use virtualization (which probably in most cases are the main reason for slow performance), so your CPU is able to do virtualization, but my guess is that even tough being able to do it, might not be very good at it as newer processors.

I ran a comparison between my processor (i5 6600k) and yours. This is the result:

Opening it you can see that in several points, your processor go way over than mine, but pay attention to the " Advanced Technologies" section, where it shows some things that are absent, in particular, the I/O virtualization which improves a lot the performance of virtualization on the machine.

For what I know, your CPU is bottlenecking your system when it comes to virtualization.

The only thing I can recommend you, apart from buying a new CPU, is to try enabling the Fast Docker Volumes option under Advanced in Local config. (But as the option description states, if you run into any issues, disable this option)

Unfortunately, Local relies very much on virtualization, to create the containers/sites with docker, so the performance is directly connected with the processor and resources that impact it.