Unable to install on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS due to missing dependency

I see that there have been quite a few folks that have not been able to install the latest LocalWP on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS. There is a missing dependency, libaio1. Ubuntu 24.04 migrated to 64-bit time components and libaio1 migrated to libaio1t64. Unfortunately, there is no transitional package. I’ve followed all the posts I could find here but even after getting some of the other dependencies installed, I’m now seeing messages about even more dependencies.

Has anyone been able to get past this issue, somehow, and get Local installed? Thanks!

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

System Details

• Local Version:

• Operating System (OS) and OS version:

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

1 Like

Hey @cmccullough!

Could you share some screenshots or error messages here for us to take a look?

Could you also share your local log?

Keep us posted and we’d be happy to help further!

1 Like

The issue was caused by 3 dependencies not being met but when I attempted to install the dependencies, one of the dependencies that I attempted to install the was the incorrect one. Once I installed the correct one, I was able to get it working.

It would be nice to get the dependency issue corrected or as many have mentioned, a Flatpak and/or Snap be created for Linux users. This would do away with any issues of installation on Linux.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Glad to hear you were able to get this working @cmccullough! I know the team has some work on their roadmap for this but has had to prioritize other efforts. We’ll do our best to keep our eyes and minds open and provide updates!

Similar issue. I am unable to install as missing libncurses5.

I was able to install one missing dependency, but https://packages.ubuntu.com/lunar/amd64/libncurses5/download leads to an error page.

Related to this issue which was closed without resolution I can not install LocalWP into Ubuntu 23.10 because comes back with "Error : Dependency is not satisfiable libncurses5"

Definitely! A snap/ flatpak solution would be welcomed.

3 Likes

@cmccullough do you have some steps that would help @katie.co get working here? Looks like some download links a previous user provided in another thread are no longer working. I don’t have a Ubuntu setup to be able to test myself, but I can connect with our Devs next week on this.

1 Like

Hi there,

I’ve just installed and updated a clean Ubuntu 24.04 LTS version, but got the same issue trying to install Local v9.0.5

I read about libiao1 package and it will be no longer available in this ubuntu version, instead of it they provide libaio1t64 package, on the other hand the package libncurses5 was migrated in this version and can’t be installed, instead Ubuntu use the package to libncurses6, for this reason it isn’t installable any of both packages (libncurses5 and libaio1) to avoid installation problems with local v9.0.5

This is the information of my OS

Hello all,

Yes, I was able to get this working on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS by following the steps provided by @aldrick.

You’ll need to install the following packages to satisfy all dependencies:

libtinfo5_6.4-2_amd64
libncurses5_6.4-2_amd64
libaio1_0.3.113-4_amd64
libnss3-tools

The easiest way I found to do this is by using Curl to download and then dpkg to install the first three.

1. Download libtinfo5_6.4-2_amd64 and then install the package:
    Download: curl -O http://launchpadlibrarian.net/648013231/libtinfo5_6.4-2_amd64.deb
    Install: sudo dpkg -i libtinfo5_6.4-2_amd64.deb

2. Download libncurses5_6.4-2_amd64 and install the package:
    Download: curl -O http://launchpadlibrarian.net/648013227/libncurses5_6.4-2_amd64.deb
    Install: sudo dpkg -i libncurses5_6.4-2_amd64.deb

3. Download libaio1_0.3.113-4_amd64 and install the package:
    Download: curl -O http://launchpadlibrarian.net/646633572/libaio1_0.3.113-4_amd64.deb
    Install: sudo dpkg -i libaio1_0.3.113-4_amd64.deb

4. Manually install libnss3-tools
    Install: sudo apt install libnss3-tools

This worked great for me. And sorry for the sloppy reply. I was sort of in a hurry. :grin:

Let me know how this works for everyone.

8 Likes

And for the above, you may need to install Curl. I can’t seem to recall if it was already installed.

sudo apt install curl

1 Like

Hi @cmccullough

Thanks !! It works for me. I own you one

2 Likes

Excellent! And you are very welcome!

1 Like

I was having the same problem and this was very helpful. @cmccullough
Are there any plans to make this step unnecessary?

3 Likes

Thank you for all of the help here @cmccullough! And yes @genepine the team is working on this but we don’t have an ETA to provide at this time.

1 Like

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing this, it worked for me on Linux Mint XFCE

2 Likes

Thanks.
This worked for me too.

2 Likes

Thank you for letting us know this is still working @EPW! :green_heart:

These steps worked great for me too. Thank you!!!

1 Like