What Linux distribution/version can I use for a trouble -free install

Edit: I have now installed Debian 12 stable and though not quite a case of just install and run it was fairly straightforward to get working. An answer on getting it to work with OpenSuse Tumbleweed is therefore not urgent, however I will leave the question in place as an answer might be useful when I finish the training sessions and want to use my laptop for more general uses.

Also, if anyone wants an easy Linux install then Debian 12 is the way to go. Stop the Apache server and disable before installation as it grabs the necessary ports. Also the package does not include all dependencies from the base system, but if you install the .deb from the command line it tells you what is missing, so you can install them and rerun.

Basically I have been asked to provide some training to editors for our website, hopefully later next week. This is a U3A site and we are all volunteers. I successfully installed localwp and a cut down demo version of our site on my windows Desktop, but I will need to take the training material on my laptop, which has Linux installed. Currently I have OpenSuse Tumbleweed which has compatibility issues (it runs MariaDB and appears to be incompatible with MySql).

I’m not going to be using my laptop for anything else soon, so I don’t mind wiping it, but would want to put something on that would have a trouble-free install of localwp. I’m guessing that Debian stable would be the best option the latest version ‘bookworm’ is version is 12.7 ‘bookworm’. I want to check though as I would like to let everyone involved know that I am ready to go ahead ASAP.

I am not concerned about getting the OpenSuse issue resolved currently, the priority is to get a working system.

Hi @Chris_B

We have some dependency issues presently for Linux/Ubuntu that may make for a not quite trouble-free install. Some details and workarounds here:

These are things we plan to address down the road but the vast majority of our users are on Windows/MacOS so we have to prioritize our work accordingly.