Wp-sync-db-master vs php

Hi everyone,

I’m using Local and I’m really happy with it.
I’m working on a website with someone else and we decided to use wp-sync-db-master to sync the database and there is something weird happening with my version of PHP.
If I stay with PHP 7.4.30 (or under) the plugin page in the admin is working correctly when I click on the different tabs (Migrate/Settings/Help) it’s working normally.
But if I go with PHP 8.30.0 or above, then the tabs are not responding anymore and same for the “Migrate DB” button.
I know it could come from the plugin but… I asked my friend who is using MAMP and it’s working well for him so I thought maybe someone here could help me figure it out and free me from PHP 7 :smile:
Thanks again in advance for your time and help!

Hi @Pao!

What OS/OS version are you on?

Hi @Nick-B I am currently on Sonoma 14.0 on a Macbook Air M1 but as far as I can tell it’s been this way since I began using this stack 2/3 years ago.

Are you on the Apple Silicon build of Local? If so do you have Rosetta installed?

I would like to say yes to the two questions but I’m not totally sure.
I’ll check on my side but if you have any suggestions to help me give you a better answer don’t hesitate :slight_smile:

Well… it looks like I have the Intel version here.

If you’re on a Macbook Air M1 I think that utilizes Apple Silicon right?

You could try the Apple Silicon build here:

If you don’t have Rosetta installed you can use this command in Terminal, softwareupdate --install-rosetta to get it in place or others have suggested /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license.

Thanks, I just did install the silicon version.
The app works well but unfortunately the issue remains.

And you have Rosetta installed as well?

Could you send over a copy of your Local Logs?

Retrieving Local’s Log File

Yes at the moment Rosetta is installed (I still have 3 apps still running on Intel)
Here are the logs, let me know if you need anything else:
local-lightning.log (98.3 KB)

Hi @Pao

Could you click the Download Local Logs button from the Support tab in Local? This will generate a zip archive that contains the Local log along with some other diagnostic information to help quickly zero in on any issues that Local is encountering.

Hi @Nick-B
Thanks for your efforts!
Here is the zip file:
local-logs.zip (345.3 KB)

Hi @Pao

We did some digging here but couldn’t find anything Local related in the logs as far as pointing to a specific root cause within the app itself. You could try using WP_DEBUG to see if that gives up any errors that could be useful in plugin troubleshooting.

Furthermore, it looks like the last commit to this repo was in 2018, and was basically asking if anyone wanted to take over maintenance:

Given that PHP 8.X was released in 2020, it’s not that surprising that it might be buggy on newer PHP versions.

Lastly, not sure if you’re aware but it looks like this plugin was a stripped down copy of WP Migrate Pro:

Since Delicious Brains and WP Migrate are part of our product family, our official stance for reliability would be to upgrade to WP Migrate Pro and utilize a plugin that’s fully supported and maintained.

Hopefully that helps provide some options for moving forward at least! Happy Developing :green_heart:

First of all thanks again for your help!
Actually I didn’t mention it before but when I go in the wp-config file and do a WP_DEBUG: true; I also don’t get the errors :frowning: (Maybe it’s all connected :thinking: )

I agree with your advice, and I was also leaning towards WP Migrate (as I’m sure it will bring other interesting features) but I wanted first to be sure that I wasn’t missing something since my friend was able to make it work with his MAMP stack.

Anyway, many thanks again to you and the team!
Cheers

Ok I just did a quick test and I do get the errors correctly when switching to define( ‘WP_DEBUG’, true);
What is not working is the wp-sync-db plugin, even with a lower version of PHP (7.4.30 for ex.).
So… I guess we know what will happens next:
bye-bye wp-sync :put_litter_in_its_place: and welcome WP Migrate DB :hugs:

Thank you for the follow-up @Pao :green_heart:

It never hurts to ask and to try and flex those troubleshooting skills! We’re unsure why it’s still chugging along on MAMP, but with the plugin unsupported and so long unmaintained the clock might be ticking for it in whatever environment it happens to work on for now.

Obviously Local is a free application and in that spirit, our users are always welcome to try and utilize whatever tools they can make use of. We don’t require anyone to “upgrade” or purchase something they don’t want, but we are happy to make suggestions that can make life a lot easier!

Happy Developing :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.