Critical site health issues on fresh local site install

I just added a new site with the following configurations:

• Apache web server
  • PHP 8
  • MariaDB 10.4.10
  • Wordpress v5.7.2

Once the site was added in Local, I immediately checked Site Health, and I am getting two critical errors:

1. The Rest API encountered an error

The REST API is one way WordPress, and other applications, communicate with the server. One example is the block editor screen, which relies on this to display, and save, your posts and pages.

The REST API request failed due to an error.
Error: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 10004 milliseconds with 0 bytes received (http_request_failed)

1. Your site could not complete a loopback request

Loopback requests are used to run scheduled events, and are also used by the built-in editors for themes and plugins to verify code stability.

The loopback request to your site failed, this means features relying on them are not currently working as expected.
Error: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 10015 milliseconds with 0 bytes received (http_request_failed)

I’ve encountered these two errors before on a previous install, but I thought it was caused by some plugins. However, on this site, I have not yet installed any plugins, nor have I changed any of the default wordpress settings. Can somebody please tell me how to fix this?

Same. Try to debug now. :frowning:

Yeah, I spent my Sunday trying to resolve this. I’ve read lots of notes by others and did a lot of experiments. I turned off HTTPS, set an unset 'define’s in wp-config, extended execution timeout in PHP, set the ServerName in the apache.ini.hb, restarted Local after most changes. No joy from anything. The only things I can think of that I haven’t messed with is the TLS version, and I haven’t disabled xdebug for this testing.

EDIT: I also just upgraded cURL to v7.78.0. The default version of curl.exe in windows\system32 is v7.55.1. Change ownership to Administrators, permissions to Full Control, then rename it to curl_old.exe. Then install the latest cURL as you prefer. Without an xt trace I still don’t know if this is using the right TLS 1.2 or 1.3. At this point I need to stop diagnostics and move on with things that work.

The issue seems to be that we can’t do a cURL loopback to a Local server. I’m running Norton AV, disabled for all testing, and there’s no Windows wirewall active to block ports or processes. I’d be happy to uninstall Norton if that’s the issue - it came with my laptop and I don’t like it anyway. :wink:

I’d really like to resolve this, as I’d like to start development with the WP REST API and other communications.

What do we need to do to try to get some traction on this? Buy a license? Contact Support outside of this forum?

I’ll work with support and run alpha code and tests. (As a former QA Manager and Product Manager, I love to beat up software and solve problems.)

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.