Access the site in local network

Hi,
I accidentally found flywheel and I’m in love with it. Thank you to the entire team.

I do have a question. I have a MacBook Pro and iMac and I have installed flywheel and set up the site on my Laptop (MacBook Pro). I also want to access my site from my Desktop (iMac).

I see Live Link works, but I was under the impression I can access the local URL so it’s faster. Is there a way to do it?

I already tried installing flywheel on my iMac as well and placed the entire folder on my Synology cloud diskstation. But it did not work.

This could be a huge time saver. Please advise. Thank you.

Hari

Hey @sthambi

How do you envision sharing the site between the two computers?

I think a number of people have been able to setup syncing with Dropbox/Google Cloud etc. The only caveat with this is that it is syncing the files and not the actual container and running database. This can still work if you are stopping your sites which exports the database to sql files which can then be synced and imported on the other computer.

If you are wanting to simply access the site from the other computer, for example testing various browsers, then live-links are your best bet because the Local sites exist only on what is called a “host-only network” meaning that the WordPress site is on it’s own network with the computer it is running on.

You would explore a tool like browser-sync: https://browsersync.io/ which can serve up and sync changes across browser sessions. It’s pretty neat!

One thing I would offer up is a slightly different mindset – I usually try and think of my local development environments as being fairly disposable, and do most of my content updates on the server. My Local environments are for testing new code or changes to the server like PHP versions and things, so I rarely need to “sync” things between different computers.

Anything that is synced, is usually contained within a Git repo, so that helps manage changes and syncing of code.

Anyway, I would search the forums for other’s ideas on syncing environments. There’s no one right way, and lots of people tinker on this sort of thing! Also, if you find a workflow that works well for you, let us know with another post to this topic!

Welcome to the Fly fam!

– en

I eventually found this tutorial that shows how to get the IP of the virtual machine instance (rather than the host machine) - thanks Megan!

1 Like