Can't activate Smart Slider 3 premium plugin

I cannot activate the Pro version of the “Smart Slider 3 plugin”. I think it is related to this expired SSL issue. Is the fix you are working on going to allow me to activate my plugin locally?

As of now when I try and activate the plugin I get an “60SSL certificate problem: certificate has expired” error

And in the debug log I get:
API Connection Test

• Trying 172.104.28.39…
  • TCP_NODELAY set
  • Connected to api.nextendweb.com (172.104.28.39) port 443 (#0)
  • ALPN, offering http/1.1
  • Cipher selection: ALL:!EXPORT:!EXPORT40:!EXPORT56:!aNULL:!LOW:!RC4:@STRENGTH
  • successfully set certificate verify locations:
  • CAfile: /etc/ssl/cert.pem
    CApath: none
  • SSL certificate problem: certificate has expired
  • stopped the pause stream!
  • Closing connection 0

This clearly states that the activation is being cancelled because the “certificate has expired”.

Has anyone ever successfully activated “Smart Slider 3 Pro” on any of your .local sites

BTW, I have downloaded the “Beta fix” and that has not resolved this issue.

Hey @kfrank – I’ve moved this reply to its own topic since this isn’t related to the expired certificate for Live Links.

Can you clarify a little more where the debug log is as well as share the contents of it here?

Also, it might be helpful to see what’s going on in the Local Log. Can you please provide it? See this Community Forum post for instructions on how to do so:

1 Like

Issue Summary

You are correct, that this is a LetsEncrypt issue:

The solution is what you see here:

that the cacert.pem file of the server has to be updated, and be configured within the php.ini file of the server, to make your server’s certificate valid again.

There are no other ways of activating the Pro version, as curl connection is necessary for this, so it has to be fixed within the server of the website.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular? Yes. All sites that need to activate Smart Slider.

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser? Yes.

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used? 6.1.2

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used? OS BIG SUR

• For example: macOS Catalina or Windows 10 Professional

Does this mean that I cannot activate the Pro version of Smart Slider on The Local Site I am running on my local computer using the the ssl cert provided by local in my site dashboard “mysitename.local.crt”? Any solutions would be appreciated.

Ben, thank you.
Here is my local-beta.log
local-beta copy.log (12.9 KB)

The log I mentioned before is a log provided by the Smart Slider plugin and is found in the plugins dashboard within wordpress to diagnose activation errors.
Here is the contents of that when I try to activate my plugin:

Plan: pro
Platform: WordPress - 5.8.1
Site url: //villagepilates2021.local/
Path: /Users/kfrank/Local Beta/villagepilates2021/app/public/wp-content
Uri: https://villagepilates2021.local/wp-content
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/94.0.4606.61 Safari/537.36

API Connection Test

• Trying 172.104.28.39…
  • TCP_NODELAY set
  • Connected to api.nextendweb.com (172.104.28.39) port 443 (#0)
  • ALPN, offering http/1.1
  • Cipher selection: ALL:!EXPORT:!EXPORT40:!EXPORT56:!aNULL:!LOW:!RC4:@STRENGTH
  • successfully set certificate verify locations:
  • CAfile: /etc/ssl/cert.pem
    CApath: none
  • SSL certificate problem: certificate has expired
  • stopped the pause stream!
  • Closing connection 0

PHP: 7.4.1
PHP - memory_limit: 256M
PHP - max_input_vars: 4000
PHP - opcache.enable: 1
PHP - opcache.revalidate_freq: 2

Conflicts:

• Unable to connect to the API

Thank you again for your help.

I took a closer look at what the support doc from Smartslider recommends doing, and I don’t think there’s an easy way to update the certs that individual Local sites use to make external requests.

I’ll keep exploring this to see if I can find more details.

1 Like

Ryan,
Thank you. I had seen this post, but it doesn’t make clear how to remedy the situation in the case of someone running a “local” site.
It seems to point out that the error is created by the ssl expiration on the server but in my case Local is my server and I am using their ssl that is built into local. I just assumed(perhaps incorrectly) that the Let’s Encrypt expiration issue that has been breaking the “live links” functionality might also be responsible for my not being able to activate my plugin since they both point to expired ssl certs.

Ben, please let me know if you find a solution to this. I believe smart slider is one of the more popular plugins out there, It would be a shame to not be able to develop with the pro version locally.
Thanks again for looking into this.

Hey @kfrank – I think that my reply in this other thread might be helpful for you too:

Can you try the steps outlined in that fix, which basically mean:

1. Make a backup of the existing file at /etc/ssl/cert.pem
  2. Download a new cert bundle from: curl - Extract CA Certs from Mozilla
  3. Move the cacert.pem file to overwrite the cert.pem file.
  4. Retry authenticating the Smart Slider 3 plugin.

Let me know how that goes, or if you have any other questions!

2 Likes

Ben, Thank you this worked for me :grin:
I did have to rename the cacert.pem to cert.pem in order for it to work.
I also had to follow the instructions by @henning found on this thread:

http://community.localwp.com/t/getting-a-curl-error-when-trying-to-update-plugins-in-local/28093

to enable updates to work for that plugin.
Thank you again!!!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.