Error connecting to Dropbox for Cloud backups

Issue Summary

Attempting to connect to Dropbox via my Local Hub account results in error “This app is unable to link additional users because it has been frozen pending review.”. The Dropbox account is functioning without issue and I’ve authorized the Local Hub login attempt via the email Dropbox sends.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 12.46.20 pm

Because my Dropbox account is NOT frozen I assume this has something to do with the Local Hub app making the connection.

Replication

Log into https://hub.localwp.com, choose Cloud backups from the Add-ons menu and then click the Connect button next to Dropbox.

Not sure if you need to have installed the Cloud backups add-on in Local first but I’ve done that.

System Details

Local 6.0.0+5444
MacOS 11.4

4 Likes

Same issue here, same error prompt, same OS and Local version. Dropbox Plus 2TB plan fully functioning except for the Cloud backups connections.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for bubbling this up! We’re taking a closer look and will have more info as we dive in!

2 Likes

Just confirming that I too have had this exact issue just today.

I see that it has been going on for a while.

Hopefully the team will be able to connect with the folks at Dropbox and get this resolved soon, as I would much rather use Dropbox than Google. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m trying to set up cloud sync with Dropbox and I get the same error. I was about to successfully sync backups to GDrive in the meantime.

1 Like

Same issue here. Happy to help test!

1 Like

Bubbling this up some more as I installed Local for the first time ever yesterday.

Same issue. I did wander over to Dropbox to see if they had anything relevant on their end. It appears that Dropbox is encouraging their users to contact their app developers to resolve the issue (Ticket).

Yeah, it’s totally on us to get it fixed with Dropbox.

Right now, there’s nothing technical blocking things, it’s all just communication and processes in the way.

We’re still working on getting this fixed and will let you know when it’s fixed!

3 Likes

I also have the same problem, I am using the Mac application, the Cloud Backup extension is installed, when clicking “Connect Provider” > “Dropbox connect”

• Error conneting app -

I know you’re all waiting for this, and I’m sorry it’s taking so long. We’re getting closer, but not quite done.

IT departments, Man.

1 Like

I also have the same issue. I contacted Dropbox but they say that it is not their issue to solve: " Since it appears like you’re trying to connect using the other service, and not via Dropbox directly at [https://www.dropbox.com/account/connected_apps], the issue that you’re experiencing is caused by the other service you’re using, not by Dropbox. Since we’re unable to provide assistance to third party services and apps, the best way for you to get assistance with the problem is to reach out to the company that makes the app or service for support." Is there any fix? Thanks

Thanks for replying and welcome to the Local Community Forums!

There isn’t any fix yet. We are making progress, but still not quite there. I’ll be sure to let this topic know as we get things ironed out.

Still, the same issue, is there any progress on this? ETA?

Any fix coming?

Hey everyone, we’re getting closer to finalizing a fix. The solution requires us to break the current connection between the Cloud Backups add-on and Dropbox.

Because of this, we’re giving existing users a chance to download any backups they currently have on the existing connection, with a goal to finalize the upgrade on October 25.

After the upgrade, the new connection should be in place and new users should be able to connect to Dropbox.

More info about this timeline can be found on this page of the Local site:

For you users that haven’t been able to connect to Dropbox, I would recommend trying again sometime after October 25th.

Thanks again for your patience with this! It’s been slow getting a fix as we’ve been trying to upgrade things with the least amount of disruption for existing users.

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for your patience with this process and I’m sorry that it has taken so long to finish!

We’ve made the switch-over to a new Dropbox connection. This means new users should be able to connect their Local account to Dropbox and use Cloud Backups!

Because this is a new app in Dropbox’s eyes, we will still need to do some final verifications with Dropbox once we have a certain number of users who have connected.

If you can, please try connecting to Dropbox, and if you see the original error message, let us know and we’ll be able to put those final verification steps in motion!

I was just able to connect with Dropbox successfully.

Thanks for fixing this. :blush:

1 Like

Hi all, one more here that had a successful connection with Dropbox.

Thank you so much for fixing this.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.