"Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory" when adding Xdebug configuration to PHPStorm

What issue or error are you experiencing?

“Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory” when adding Xdebug configuration to PHPStorm

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

Here’s a 30 minute video of me installing Local and replicating the error - after HOURS of trying every possible change to figure it out. I even formatted my PC’s SSD and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro plus just the bare necessities needed to test this on a clean PC. Still nothing.

https://youtu.be/0m3Gdi0cyIc YouTube says it should be finished processing to HD at about 1:30 pm EST - you might as well wait and see my frustration in HD.

System Details

• Local Version:
    Version 8.1.0+6514

• Operating System (OS) and OS version:
    |Edition|Windows 10 Pro|
    |—|—|
    |Version|22H2|
    |Installed on|‎11/‎29/‎2023|
    |OS build|19045.3693|
    |Experience|Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0|

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)
local-lightning-verbose.log (71.9 KB)
local-lightning.log (12.0 KB)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

I noticed that problems posted before this issue and after this issue have been addressed, but not this issue. Does that mean that there is no solution? Does it mean that nobody knows? Does it mean that Windows use is not a priority? Is the issue even being considered?

Currently my video is unlisted on YouTube. Should I list it openly in hopes that someone outside WP Engine can figure it out?

While I understand not being able to fix problems immediately, I don’t understand the lack of communication.

See comments on Xdebug + phpstorm ad-on not working - #20 by jim_hubbard

Hi @jim_hubbard - Thank you as always for your patience and communication with us here in the Forums. I will pass along your questions, post and comments to the Dev team, and do my best to address some of your specific concerns below.

I noticed that problems posted before this issue and after this issue have been addressed, but not this issue. Does that mean that there is no solution?

While you might see myself or others responding to other posts first it isn’t because we are intentionally ignoring you or that there isn’t a solution. It’s impossible for all of us to be experts at everything. Each of us has different levels of expertise when it comes to all things WordPress and development. So we may get to other posts or comments quicker simply out of efficiency.

Does it mean that nobody knows? Does it mean that Windows use is not a priority? Is the issue even being considered? Currently my video is unlisted on YouTube. Should I list it openly in hopes that someone outside WP Engine can figure it out?

Since Local is a popular and free product we do not offer any kind of priority support or SLA. Again that doesn’t mean there isn’t a solution, or that it won’t ever be considered. We will always try to assist with issues here the best we can in a timely manner, but troubleshooting and communication may take additional time. If you’d like to try and seek assistance outside of the Forums via YouTube or other platforms you can certainly do so as well! The Local Community Forums here are public so that anyone can chime in with their input.

Even if you hack around that issue by manually copying the file that Local refuses to write, then you run into another Local issue (Debugger breaks on first line even though its deactivated and shows local-bootstrap.php? - #5 by rmpel) that stops you in a bootstrap file even though you have set no breakpoints in PHPStorm for that.

At this time I just don’t have the extra time to try and figure out all of Local’s kinks. IMHO, Local is definitely NOT the environment that anyone just beginning their web coding or PHPStorm journey should use. Every time you hit a snag (which is every time you launch Local for editing with PHPStorm) you will have to stop and Google and email and post to forums to find out if it is another Local hang-up.

For those of us just learning web coding and PHPStorm, Local presents hurdles and snags that hinder our learning either one.

Add this to the slowness of Local on Windows machines (especially vs something like XAMP) and there is just no reason to use Local and plenty of reasons not to.

For those reasons I will have to find another way to learn web coding. Local just doesn’t cut it for me.

We understand doing what is best for your workflows and needs. Thank you for giving Local a spin. We wish you well on your development journey :slight_smile: :green_heart: