Error installing WordPress after Avast Antivirus quarantined the executable file

What issue or error are you experiencing?

Avast Antivirus put Local.exe into quarantine. After retrieving the file, reinstalling the current and old versions of Local, and checking the program’s permissions, I get a 502 error in the browser when opening any site I have already made and any new sites I make now. The WordPress version is in a constant loading state. If I try to make a new site, I get the following error:

System Details

• Local Version: 8.3.1 and 8.3.2

• Operating System (OS) and OS version: Windows 10 version 22H2

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)
local-logs.zip (149.2 KB)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @pmjacobs

Are you sure Avast still isn’t blocking Local at all? Are you able to test with it disabled?

Is this a work machine where you might have some other security or firewall features preventing Local from connecting?

Are you running other developer applications simultaneously? That could also cause similar issues. Apps like MAMP, XAMPP, or Docker for example.

Hi @Nick-B, Thanks for replying so soon, I really appreciate your help.

I want to say that I am very sure Avast is not blocking Local, as there is nothing in the “Blocked & Allowed apps” on Avast and the Quarantine is empty. Edit: I have confirmed that with Avast disabled, I still get the error when making a new site.

I am working from my personal machine for work, so I know Avast and Windows Defender Firewall are all that are on here. I have already checked Windows Defender to make sure Local is allowed too.

I am only running Local and VS Code, and a couple of web browser tabs; I think it is unlikely that any of those are causing interference. I have run Local by itself though and the issue persists.

Based on the log and the screenshot it still seems like something on your machine is preventing Local from making a connection.

If you change your Router Mode to Localhost are you able to proceed? Preferences>Advanced>Router Mode>Localhost

Have you tried doing another full uninstall/reinstall?

Unfortunately changing the Router Mode to Localhost does not fix it, same error as before.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled several times, including while Avast is disabled in case it was blocking some part of the install. I have also tried installing the previous version 8.3.1 since I had no problems last week but to no avail.

Are you utilizing VS Code alongside Local? Are you able to disable that as a test?

Was all of this working at some point before the Avast quarantine or was this you first time trying to set it up?

I don’t think VS Code is a problem, while running only Local and everything else is closed I still get the error message.

Everything worked since I began using Local about 2 months ago until yesterday when I updated to 8.3.2, and then Avast quarantined the .exe.

You’ve tested downgrading also correct? But that didn’t resolve the issue?

When you uninstalled Local did you manually remove Local’s configuration folder?

1 Like

Yes, downgrading to a previous version did not resolve the issue.

I had not removed (nor was I aware of) Local’s config folder (\AppData\Roaming\Local). I uninstalled Local again and deleted that folder, then got a new install. I can make new sites and not get any errors while starting the site or the 502 error when in the browser - all problems have been resolved! The only thing now is that my old sites are no longer in Local, but I still have their files so I can just remake them.

Thank you very much for your help!

2 Likes

Glad to hear it @pmjacobs! That’s a step that’s listed in our Uninstall help doc that had slipped my mind as maybe another wrench in the works here.

You’re correct you should be able to zip your old site files to drag and drop import, or you can create a new site and port the files over manually. Instructions for both are in our doc here:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.