Error: Uh Oh! Could not start Live Link

Issue Summary

Using Local WP to build a client site and I wanted to share a Live Link rather than deploy the site to production. When I click Live Link I get the error below…

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?

I only have one site in Local

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?

Yes. I hadn’t had two sites before so I created one to be able to answer this question. I did stop the other site and re-try the LiveLink for the new test site and I get the same error.

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

LocalWP seems to be working in all otehr respects. When I try to launch LiveLink I get this error…

I am using XOrg instead of Wayland if that helps. I can’t use Wayland because it prevents me from taking screenshots with Shutter and the built in screenshot tool is junk.

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?

Local Version 7.0.1+6387

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

Ubuntu Linux 22.04 with recent updates and XOrg instead of Wayland.
“id”:“a5401b7c-baee-4f2c-8c27-d01f87972c2d”,
“version”:“7.0.1+6387”,
“os”:
“os”:“linux”,
“dist”:“Ubuntu”,
“codename”:“jammy”,
“release”:“22.04”

• Attach the Local Log. See this Help Doc for instructions on how to do so:

local-lightning.log (36.1 KB)

Security Reminder

Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hey @pblanton!

What is your Router Mode set to?

Do you have any security/antivirus/firewall applications or extensions running?

No firewall or antivirus. Plain-Jane Ubuntu Linux.

Regarding my router, what do I need to check / enable?

Click on your little profile icon > Preferences > Advanced and then you should see Router Mode at the top. If it’s set to LocalHost then that will prevent Live Links from working.

It is set to “Site Domains” and the three switches below it are Off.

On the upside I did find the ability to make the interface dark, so thanks.

Hmm… I just tried it again, and it is kind of working now. The live link is created and I can log into it, but it isn’t loading or using any of the stylesheets for some reason. That’s a separate issue though, so while I don’t know what happened or how the Live Link healed itself, it seems to have.

Now I need to figure out why the site isn’t being styled properly when served up in Live Link.

1 Like

Hi @pblanton

Live Links don’t match your Local Site URL (ie: mysite.local), so Local attempts to rewrite these on the fly. Live Links is broadly compatible with many themes, plugins, and custom code snippets. However, some images, front-end assets, or other HTML elements may be missing from your site when viewing it over Live Links. Try the tips below:

• Run the following WP-CLI command
    wp search-replace 'SITEURL' 'LOCALURL' --skip-columns=guid

• Replace SITEURL with your production URL like https://localwp.com

• Replace LOCALURL is your Local Site URL like http://mysite.local

• Trust Local’s SSL certificate

• Disable certain types of plugins: caching, security, force HTTPS/SSL

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.