Google Fonts not loading on mobile devices using Live Link

What issue or error are you experiencing?

I’m using the Web Font Loader from this website - https://www.altmann.de/en/blog-en/code-snippet-custom-fonts/.
My Google Fonts are Roboto, Lato and Open Sans. All are loading fine on my Windows 11 PC and LocalWP is very fast. I’ve tested in Chrome, Opera, Edge, Firefox and Brave browsers.
On Iphone 10 and 11, using Chrome, Safari and Opera, the pages are loading very slow and sometimes are stuck until I refresh them and the fonts are different than the ones from above.

Wordpress and all plugins are all up to date. There are no errors in my console & php and nginx logs are empty. I am using only 4 plugins - BricksBuilder & AdvancedThemer & Code Snippets & BricksLabs Bricks Navigator.
LocalWP is up to date.

System Details

• Local Version: 9.0.1

• Operating System (OS) and OS version: Windows 11 Pro

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @lucianpascu

Live Links don’t match your Local Site URL (ie: mysite.local), so Local attempts to rewrite these on the fly. Live Links is broadly compatible with many themes, plugins, and custom code snippets. However, some images, front-end assets, or other HTML elements may be missing from your site when viewing it over Live Links.

As a first step you can try running a search and replace command to help clean up any mixed content type errors. To do this you can simply click on Open Site Shell in your Local app under your site name. The command would look something like this:

wp search-replace 'SITEURL' 'LOCALURL' --skip-columns=guid

As a tip you would:

You’ll also want to make sure you Trust Local’s SSL certificate, to help avoid insecure content as well.

If you’re still noticing issues, check to see if you have plugins or themes that retain caching or have a “Regenerate CSS” option. These may need to be refreshed in order for changes to be displayed.

There may be other plugins getting in the way as well if they are trying to force SSL/HTTPS.

If you’re still having issues you might open up the console of the page and see what errors are present. Is it still showing some mixed content or some other type of issue?

You might try viewing it in an incognito window, a different browser, or over LTE Data instead of WiFi to see if caching is getting in the way as well.

As another workaround, if you’re still having trouble, you could try pushing the site up to a Demo to see how it looks there. Flywheel offers free 14 day Demos that you could test out: Demo Site

For performance issues and slowness we have many helpful tips on our guide here:

wp search-replace ‘SITEURL’ ‘LOCALURL’ --skip-columns=guid → I don’t understand why and how this could help me with my issue (serving Google Fonts through Live Link)
I am developing locally with LocalWP so I don’t understand what’s with the SITEURL/Production URL if I have none.

I’ve regenerated many times the CSS files from within BricksBuilder and that didn’t helped with Live Link.

SSL: Sometimes, after starting my local website it seems that the URL served is missing httpS. Sometimes it’s fine. I’ve tried wp search-replace ‘http://example.local’ ‘https://example.local to no avail. All my protocols are correct in the database / httpS

" As another workaround, if you’re still having trouble, you could try pushing the site up to a Demo to see how it looks there. Flywheel offers free 14 day Demos that you could test out: Demo Site" → I don’t see how this is related to my issue with Live Link.

There should be no problem with caching as I’ve tested in Incognito locally on my Windows PC as well as on the mobile devices.

Anyway, I am seeing that LocalWP still has the same issues as many years ago when I first tried it so I’m not expecting miracles anymore. There’s also the issue of not being able to stop a website which came up from nowhere after weeks of developing the same website and changing nothing to my system.

I will soon move to a dev server. That’s too much insecurity and work for a tool that came up as something that should help us work less…

I don’t understand why and how this could help me with my issue (serving Google Fonts through Live Link) I am developing locally with LocalWP so I don’t understand what’s with the SITEURL/Production URL if I have none.

This could help resolve things like mixed content errors that might show up. However, if everything is working fine on the desktop, that’s likely not an issue. The responsive behavior of websites is controlled by the CSS and JS of themes, and not by WordPress. So, if a site looks fine on Desktop, but not Mobile, that is usually due to a conflict with a theme, plugin, or some other coding within the site. When viewing on Mobile you might also see if there is a difference between using a network connection or LTE data.

As another workaround, if you’re still having trouble, you could try pushing the site up to a Demo to see how it looks there. Flywheel offers free 14 day Demos that you could test out: Demo Site" → I don’t see how this is related to my issue with Live Link.

This isn’t to necessarily “help” with Live Link but simply to offer another alternative solution you could use if the Live Link isn’t working the way you expected. If the issue were to persist when on a hosted server however that might indicate it’s problem at the site level.

I will soon move to a dev server. That’s too much insecurity and work for a tool that came up as something that should help us work less…

We understand doing what is best for you and for your workflows. Thank you for giving Local a spin! If you decide to try again in the future and have any other questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to reach back out.