Hosting/setup options <best one>

What issue or error are you experiencing?

What steps can be taken to replicate the issue? Feel free to include screenshots, videos, etc

System Details

• Local Version:

• Operating System (OS) and OS version:

Local Logs

Attach your Local Logs here (Help Doc - Retrieving Local’s Log)

This may get lengthy

I have several 5 URLs and (had) two WP sites set up on BlueHost… One has been sitting dormant for years and I have been working on a second one for about a year. There have been numerous instances that their (competent?) support has misdirected a change or their change of something has wiped out my site and it’s been a month and a half of possibly restoring, then not my sites. I found out later the support had thoroughly messed up the site’s directories with tons of unexplained backups etc… and now after directing me to the area I have placed several escalated tickets to have improper WP portal results fixed, I made one click and succeeded in wiping out the database (since my backup wa on updraft plus, wiped that out as well) and now I have a “WP Blog” simple page to show for nearly 2 years of site work.

I am NOT in love with staying with BH (save I’m already familiar with their support tiers and lack of really competent support) and I aam exploring Local through WP local. I tried this once and was unsuccessful in downloading the live sites as they directories were so messed up that even Local could not figure it out and stated I would have to do it manually.

This brings me to my request.

The question
I see where WPLocal has an option of hosting on their site which is stated to make it easy to work on a site uploading and downloading with ease.
I have no clue as to what the quality and availability of support is on WPLocal nor how hard it would be to migrate a site I created to, say a Blue Host environment once finished.

I’m not even familiar with the costs involved and/or is there an advantage of hosting on WPLocal.

Should I use the local environment to build the sites uploading them to WPLocal hosting, or should I use a staged site on BlueHost (which has already be the demise of my WP directories on Blue Host)

Security Reminder
Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @Gittarpikk

Can you clarify who you’re talking about with WPLocal? Are you talking about our Product here LocalWP?

Local is a free, offline development tool but does not include any hosting. We are owned by WP Engine, so we do have some features like Local Connect that provide some quality-of-life improvements for hosting sites on WP Engine or Flywheel, but sites can also be exported/imported or migrated from Local to hosts anywhere.

If you’re having trouble getting sites into Local still, including direct importing zip backups, then doing a manual import into Local will be your best bet. The steps we have outlined here:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.