How to migrate Local pages from one to another computer

I got a new laptop. And so I have to migrate all my clients sites.
I want to introduce a new structure, not only use a backup as a starting point.

Am I right that I will have to export every single site from local and import it to the new computer?

There is no way to reestablish an existing setup from the file system alone. Meaning when I migrate all the folders to my new computer, install local - than I can’t let local figure out the setup just by pointing it to the folder - it needs to have an import file to “figure it out”.

Would it be possible to have a config file that optionally can be exported to a directory so the export-import can be speeded up?

The export will include all files in the site folder, right?
I sometimes add a folder for notes aside of “app”, “conf”, “log”

I like the capsulated structure of local but would wish to have an easier time move projects. Likely that is just a technical requirement of local as paths and routes are registered etc.

hey, if you haven’t found a solution then one thing you can do is copy all the files in \Appdata\Roaming\Local folder as I assume all the configuration are there and also the host file.

Do this after installing Local in the new system.

2 Likes

Is it really that easy (copying over those folders)? You don’t have to do the whole export/import thing?

Hi @jmccall

There are a few ways you could go about this. One way would be to simply Export your site, and then use that zip to re-import it on your new machine.

You could also use our Cloud Backups feature to save the site from one machine and then pull it down on another: Cloud Backups

Thanks. I knew about those options. I just wondering if copying over the /appdata/ folders would also do it. I’m guessing not?

I think even if you did that you’d still end up having to re-import the sites or restore from the site files as listed here:

1 Like

Is this still relevant in 2023? I can’t seem to find any of these directories in my Library on MacOS. Appdata/Roaming/Local.

I’m using 2 different computers with a shared external drive. My plan was to migrate over to a single computer without having to duplicate everything onto the same drive into another directory.

I think your best bet is exporting or backing up your site(s), uninstalling Local and deleting the folders from Machine A, and then installing Local on Machine B and reimporting your work.

On MacOS, wouldn’t copying ~/Users/me/Library/Application Support/Local over to Machine B do the trick? Or would this be advised against?

To clarify, I have all my current Local projects on an external SSD, and I’d prefer to keep them there. To export each Local site from Machine A as a zip where they would have to be re-imported so Local on Machine B can see them would be redundant. This means I’d have to create a new Local directory on the same SSD.

It’s not something I’ve tried myself, so I’m just not completely sure if that would work as expected. If all your work is saved then you could certainly try.

Exporting/reimporting is simply one method. You could also use our Cloud Backups add on to save sites and pull them down to another machine.

Cloud Backups

1 Like

I just tried and it appears to work as intended.

1 Like