'Local Helper' Zombie Process on macOS

Issue Summary

I’m noticing that at times Local Helper can possibly get stuck on something and use a ton of resources. I recently force closed it using 1.2TB virtual memory and 70% CPU with Local closed.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular? N/A

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser? Yes.

Replication

Use local for a while, don’t reboot often, and it seems to creep up. Unsure of other steps.

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used? 7.0.1+6387

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used? macOS 13.4

Hi @zackeryfretty

Even if you don’t reboot for a while are you leaving Local open always or does this still happen after you actually quit the app?

Always close it when I’m done. Hate things in my dock. :rofl:

So it sounds like the issue is intermittent. Sometimes when you use Local for a long period and then quit the application a process might be lingering but not always. Does that sound right?

How are you identifying and killing the process when it’s stuck?

Perhaps, I’ve been building sites with Local for over a year and hadn’t ran into the issue until that last update a few days ago, so maybe new?

The process of identifying it is when my Mac is feeling a little laggy I open up Activity Monitor and I see that “Local Helper” is the top process using a good 50-70% CPU despite being closed. Also seems to eat up a considerable amount of RAM too.

Thanks for your help, btw!

So it sounds like the issue didn’t start up until after the latest Local update? Or did it happen after the previous update as well?

Yes, that is correct.

Hi @zackeryfretty

Just in case it helps our team spot something can you share your Local Log as well? Retrieving Local’s Log File

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.