Local Machine Won't Start, various errors

I am completely stuck. I started getting problems starting the Local Machine - it just hung and I got several error windows.

I decided to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of Local following these instructions, and unfortunately I’m right back where I have started. The install completed but I then got the error messages and I am stuck on “Starting Local Machine” forever.

local-by-flywheel.log (15.0 KB)

Here’s the errors from the log:

Aug 22, 2019, 2:53 PM GMT+1 - warn: [main/docker-machine] Unable to start the VM: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe startvm local-by-flywheel --type headless failed:
Aug 22, 2019, 2:54 PM GMT+1 - warn: [main/docker-machine] VBoxManage.exe: error: The configuration constructor in main failed due to a COM error. Check the release log of the VM for further details. (VERR_MAIN_CONFIG_CONSTRUCTOR_COM_ERROR)
Aug 22, 2019, 2:54 PM GMT+1 - warn: [main/docker-machine] VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole
Aug 22, 2019, 2:54 PM GMT+1 - warn: [main/docker-machine]  
Aug 22, 2019, 2:54 PM GMT+1 - warn: [main/docker-machine] Details: 00:00:00.598270 Power up failed (vrc=VERR_MAIN_CONFIG_CONSTRUCTOR_COM_ERROR, rc=E_FAIL (0X80004005))

I am using Local by Flywheel 3.3.0 on Windows 10, and I’ve upgraded VirtualBox to version 6.0.10.

If I attempt to start the virtual machine in VirtualBox, I get the following error:

The virtual machine 'local-by-flywheel' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\Asus\.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel\local-by-flywheel\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

|Result Code:|E_FAIL (0x80004005)|
| --- | --- |
|Component:|MachineWrap|
|Interface:|IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}|

VBoxHardening.log (182.2 KB)

I really hope someone can help with this, because it’s cost me a lot of time already and I don’t know how to fix it. I’ve looked at similar threads and can’t find a solution.

Hey @abrightclearweb

That’s definitely an odd thing to have happen. When I look at the Local log, I’m seeing this error:

Aug 22, 2019, 2:39 PM GMT+1 - info: [main/check-system] Check System: Docker Machine:  
{ stdout: '',
  stderr:
   'error getting state for host local-by-flywheel: VBoxManage not found. Make sure VirtualBox is installed and VBoxManage is in the path\n' }

That’s basically saying that Local is having problems communicating with VirtualBox. This usually happens with Antivirus software, or some other Windows update that will change security settings. A couple of things to try:

• Disable any Antivirus software and try uninstalling and re-installing Local
  • Restarting the VM by going to “Help > Restart Local Machine”.

Let me know how those things go. If you keep having issues, can you provide an updated version of the Local log so that we can see what additional things are being logged?

Here’s how I got on:

• Disable any Antivirus software and try uninstalling and re-installing Local
    Tried - same errors.

• Restarting the VM by going to “Help > Restart Local Machine”.
    If you mean the option underneath Help in Local’s menu, I’ve done that and get the same errors.

I can’t restart the VM in VirtualBox because it is Powered Off to begin with. Restarting it in Normal Mode gives me this:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine local-by-flywheel .

The virtual machine ‘local-by-flywheel’ has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in ‘C:\Users\Asus.docker\machine\machines\local-by-flywheel\local-by-flywheel\Logs\VBoxHardening.log’ .

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}

Here is an updated Log: local-by-flywheel.log (49.3 KB)

Incidentally I’ve tried installing VVV today and I also get a similar error with VirtualBox, whether antivirus is disabled or not.

There was an error while executing VBoxManage, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: [“startvm”, “a6d98505-4dbe-456e-88ed-74367f710b1a”, “–type”, “headless”]

Stderr: VBoxManage.exe: error: The configuration constructor in main failed due to a COM error. Check the release log of the VM for further details. (VERR_MAIN_CONFIG_CONSTRUCTOR_COM_ERROR)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole

Hey @abrightclearweb

I know that recent updates to Windows have caused issues with Virtualbox, which might explain the issues you are having.

Because of things like this, Local has removed Virtualbox as a dependency, and the new, 5.x version of Local doesn’t depend on it.

I’d recommend starting to use the latest version of Local which can be downloaded from the Releases page here in the Forums:

You should be able to use the site files from the 3.x version of Local and import them into this new version of Local. Let me know if you have any other questions or need anything else!

hey please help me i have installed the local flywheel but it keeps giving me error that head’s up local router is having trouble in starting how to solve it please help me