Local UI Showing Websites in a "Start" State Incorrectly - macOS

@abroes
No problem and glad to hear that you got things working properly…really it’s kudos to @austinwendt whose tip was the trick. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @webworx - thanks for helping @abroes out!

As an update to everyone,

A fix for this issue is merged and is waiting for release as the Local engineering does some internal testing.

It should be out to users next week! :crossed_fingers:

In the meantime, it is expected that sites can still get into this state so please use the steps mentioned above.

Thank you,

Sam

1 Like

Bug Summary

When we activate a site to “start”, sometimes in the sidebar, I see a website randomly running while it’s actually NOT running and I did not touch it. And when I click on it, the site is not even active.

Steps to reproduce

I open Local and go to a website title or create a new one and start the site. Then the last site that was open appears to be active in the sidebar.

Environment Info

Describe your environment.

• What Operating System are you using? MacOS 13.4.1 (22F82)
  • What versions of site software (Nginx, Apache, PHP, MySQL) is used? N/A but Nginx
  • What version of Local is installed? 7.0.2+6395

Supporting info

Please provide your Local Log. See this Community Forum post for instructions on how to do so:

local-logs1.zip (108.7 KB)

Include any screenshots or video recordings of the issue to help others reproduce.

Screenshot of when I go to one website that is inactive but “green”

@sambrockway, does the upcoming version try to correct the erroneous data in the sites.json file, or does it just prevent the issue from happening in future?

Hello @burt!

Thank you for your question.

The sites.json file should be corrected for both new & existing sites with the fix in this release.

Sam

3 Likes

Great to hear that it’s a complete solution!

2 Likes

FYI –
I was just able to fix this by editing the sites.json file. However, I had tried that with 7.0.1 and it did not help. Since I updated to 7.0.2+6395 last night, and again edited the sites.json file, I have not seen this problem. I hope a general explanation of the fix (hopefully in 7.0.3?) can enlighten us. While this anomaly was certainly not a showstopper, it was rather annoying, especially when we do have 2 or 3 sites actually running, and then 1 or 2 random sites “pretending” to be running.

1 Like

Hey @NdnaJnz - absolutely, happy to provide a better explanation. The good news is this is released and live with Local v7.1, so the fix is out!

Explanation - Local uses TypeScript on the front-end and GraphQL to query for many things, including a site’s status (running vs. not). The underlying bug was caused by a type mismatch that caused the wrong properties to be written to the sites.json file. To @burt’s question above, in the fix we fixed the improper types to address the root. We also changed how we determine if a site is running or not, so that even in the event bad data is written to sites.json, it won’t affect Local’s UI for displaying that status to the user.

Hopefully that helps!

1 Like

Austin –
Thanks a ton for the detailed technical explainer. It’s so nice to have a host willing to share such info, and acknowleging some of us Lcal users are actually quite smart and technical. :wink:

Cheers,
Jeff

2 Likes

Of course! Lots of brilliant developers out there using Local and pushing WordPress forward; just doing what we can to make it easier. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.