Local WP Install Issue

Issue Summary

1. Unable to log into “Hello World” first web site.
  2. Created new web site which responds with “Error 404 - Page Not Found”

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?

Cannot be sure, only two sites created.

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?

But response when site is opened is “Error 404, page not found.”

Replication

Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. If you have screenshots that can help clarify what is happening, please include them!

Attached screen shot of log in to “Hello World” with wrong password and site I created where page could not be found.

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?

6.1.2 + 5473

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

Windows 10

• Attach the Local Log. See this Community Forum post for instructions on how to do so:

Log attached file attached along with two screen prints whowing the issues.

local-lightning.log (45.1 KB)

Security Reminder

Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Forgot to mention, the log contains several MySQL warnings.

The only thing I’m seeing in the Local log is that MySQL error you mention:

{"thread":"main","level":"error","stack":"Error: Access denied.\n    at TLSSocket.<anonymous> (%%appPath%%\\node_modules\\@getflywheel\\localtunnel\\lib\\TunnelConnectionCluster.js:59:28)\n    at Object.onceWrapper (events.js:422:26)\n    at TLSSocket.emit (events.js:327:22)\n    at TLSSocket.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:467:12)\n    at addChunk (internal/streams/readable.js:309:12)\n    at readableAddChunk (internal/streams/readable.js:284:9)\n    at TLSSocket.Readable.push (internal/streams/readable.js:223:10)\n    at TLSWrap.onStreamRead (internal/stream_base_commons.js:188:23)","message":"Access denied.","timestamp":"2021-09-09T15:44:11.105Z"}

An error of “Access denied” usually something was preventing Local from finishing the setup of the site.

Since this is Windows, do you have any antivirus software running that would prevent Local from creating new sites?

You also mention that two sites were created – maybe restarting the computer and restoring the first site to a new one would get it working?

You can use a backup of the site, or try using the files for the site by following the steps outlined in the “Restoring From Only Local Site files” section of this help doc:

Ben Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do have Norton antivirus set up. I may have Windows firewall too. Does the install produce a log? If so where would it be, I could check it to see if anything went wrong with the install.

The log in that will not work is the WP Admin to change the site, so I need to get it to work. It is quite possible that antivirus software or Windwows firewall could prevent the WP Admin log in… So I may try to turn the av and firewall off to check.

BTW, I think we can quietly forget about the 404 error. I think it is probably caused by the fact the site has no pages, so the server would not find a home/index page, would it?

I have just taken another long look at the Lightning Log. The Access denied messages may not be relevant relevant. There are far too few of them. Only 4 when I have had dozens of log in fails for the Admin Account.

The Lightning Log shows quite a few MySQL warnings referring to a crash, then killing processes and then recovering at times when I have tried to log in to the Admin account.

I will open a new ticket to simplify matters.

That specific 404 has the Local branding which tells me that the Local Router doesn’t know where to find the WordPress site.

You can think of the Local router as the thing that translates the Local site’s domain into the specific port:

example.local --> localhost:10015

Because Local’s router doesn’t know about that site, it makes me think that the site never fully finished being created and so wasn’t correctly registered. Usually, I associate that with some kind of antivirus that’s preventing that last step, but I suppose it could be other things too.

There’s no install-specific log, any events related to installing would show up in the Local log that you’ve found.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.