My Server Error (500 Error) is Back

My Server Error (500 Error) is Back Along with a Memory Size Error

In another recent post, which is now locked, I wrote about a Server Error (500 Error) that I thought I fixed, but it’s back again. The associated WordPress message says:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 53248 bytes) in /Users/--------/Local Sites/---------/app/public/wp-includes/class-wpdb.php on line 2320

This is with Elementor Pro on a new M2 Macbook Air with 16 GB RAM using Chrome, Sonoma 14.1.2 (23B92), and Local Version 8.2.0+6554.

I’m creating a very small, one-page website with 15 small, compressed images that have a maximum size no greater than 79 KB. There are no posts. This can’t possibly be due to the size of the website.

I attached the Local log files.

This seems to be a common problem and I found several recommended solutions online as well as those in response to my other post. None of these worked:

In the php.ini.hbs file I changed from memory_limit = 256M to memory_limit = 512M. This was the change that worked for me in the past, but not anymore.

In the wp-config.php file I added: define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘512M’); above the /* That’s all stop editing! Row. It was 256M.

I also tried 1024M for these but that didn’t work either.

I cleared my cache after these changes.

I deactivated all my plugins except the Elementor plugin.

I stopped and started the site in Local. I have no other Local sites.

None of this worked and I’m still getting the error.

I’m stumped, very frustrated at this point, and would appreciate any help you could offer. Thank you.
local-logs.zip (15.7 MB)

Hi @PLD

It looks like I’ve shared this with you before but have you tried running through our performance guide below? If you’re having issues with a single site specifically, versus all sites or the app as a whole you might consider using a plugin like Query Monitor or something to see what might be causing the issues.

Thanks, @Nick-B. Many of the solutions I tried came from the Performance Issues guide you supplied. Unfortunately, none seemed to work. I installed the Query Monitor plugin you recommended and read the associated tutorial provided by Flywheel. As a total noob here, if it wasn’t obvious, nothing jumps out from the information the plugin provides as a possible cause.

The good news is I uploaded my site to the staging area in Hostinger, my new web host, and the problem seems to have gone away. That is, I can edit and save my site again using Elementor so I am back in business. The bad news is I can not use Localwp, which I prefer.

Thank you again for your help and direction. I’ll keep trying to figure it out.

I’m glad things are working when the site is uploaded to your host! That helps narrow things down. Query Monitor might not yield any results in this instance. When you’re working in Local on your machine if spin up a new, blank site does that still get bogged down and have errors? Does the whole app get slow? Or have you only had problems with that specific site?

What about other programs on your machine? Are you running other developer applications simultaneously? That could also cause similar issues. Apps like MAMP, XAMPP, or Docker for example.