Removing a Corrupted Installation

Hi, Local will no longer start, following an update that it ran from 2.0.1 to 2.0.4.

I tried uninstalling Local 2.0.1 and installing the new version 2.0.4 manually (downloaded from the website) but I can’t fully uninstall the system files. Within the Programs/local-by-flywheel/ directory, ‘Local by Flywheel.exe’ and ‘Uninstall Local by Flywheel.exe’ still exist along with the ‘resources’ folder. When I try deleting them it says ‘File Access Denied: You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from the computer’s administrator to make changes to this file.

I was sure I already had administrator permissions on this machine. I even clicked ‘Run as administrator’ for FileZilla to make sure it had sufficient permissions. (Before I was just using Windows FileExplorer) but the same thing happens.

How do I delete these pesky corrupted files so I can do a fresh install?

Interestingly most files within the resources folder could be deleted, all apart from …AppData\Local\Programs\local-by-flywheel\resources\extraResources\virtual-machine\vendor\docker\windows\docker-machine.exe

1 Like

It turned out that the docker machine remained running in the background, so couldn’t be deleted, even by the uninstall script, which just silently failed. (no error messages)

I didn’t see it in the task manager, but restarting the machine forced the docker machine to close and I deleted the files then. The fresh install is working fine now. (Although the built-in updater hasn’t run yet)

1 Like