Rookie mistake, changed file names now can't access site

Issue Summary

Tried to change name of site, rookie move, and renamed some of its files to ‘match’ thinking it would pull info with no problem from the site files, now of course site is gone.

Troubleshooting Questions

  • Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser? I now can not create a new local site, Google keeps telling me I don’t have permissions to make changes to Drive (I keep my files in my GOogle Drive cloud account)


Describe the steps that others can take to replicate this issue. I changed the name in Local, then thought I needed to change the domain to match, then figured I better change the file names to reflect the url/local site name and that it would read correctly. CLearly a bad idea.

System Details

  • Which version of Local is being used? 6.4.3

  • What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?

  • Attach the Local Log. See this Help Doc for instructions on how to do so:

Security Reminder

Local does a pretty good job of scrubbing private info from the logs and the errors it produces, however there’s always the possibility that something private can come through. Because these are public forums, always review the screenshots you are sharing to make sure there isn’t private info like passwords being displayed.

Hi @mhanberg

Are you still able to locate the files on your machine? If so you should be able to bundle them back up, and then re-import into Local.

I tried to do that and I got an error “Sorry! We couldn’t figure out what to do with the import file provided. Please extract it manually.”


Did you delete the old site in Local? If not, make sure the files are copies and zipped up and then delete the site in your app and try importing again.

I went ahead and deleted the old site and tried again-same response


In order to refresh here and start with a clean slate could you give the below troubleshooting steps a try?

  • Export any sites that you have on Local and save them to a folder somewhere on your computer.

  • Fully uninstall Local from your computer.

  • Install the latest version of Local on this link.

  • Once installed, please restart the computer.

  • Check and see if the issue still persists

Keep us posted and we’d be happy to help further!

Unfortunately, same error message after completing the steps and trying to import.

Hi @mhanberg

At this point you may need to re-import the old site manually. The steps would look like this:

  • Unzip the file in a common location, like the desktop
  • Create a new, blank site in Local. Use whatever username/password you like since you’ll overwrite the DB with this site archive’s dump.
  • Copy the wp-content folder from the unzipped location to this newly created site’s location
  • Copy the correct SQL dump to the site root.
  • Within Local, open the site shell
  • Import the dump with wp db import
  • If that works, now Search and replace the domains. wp search-replace ’ ’ ‘http:mylocalsite.local’

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.