Uh-oh ! Unable to start - update 7.2.1 on windows 10

Hello, my local site is completely unavailable since update 7.2.1
I tryed to reinstall an older version (the last one I had 7.1.0), to disable the firewall, but nothing is working.
I can’t even access the export function to save my data.

What’s the problem please ? I’m not an expert and I don’t understand a thing about it.
Thanks for your help


Are you running other developer applications simultaneously? That could also cause similar issues. Apps like MAMP, XAMPP, or Docker for example.

Do you have any antivirus, security, or firewall applications that could be blocking Local?

More details about troubleshooting this here: Router Mode

No I don’t use any other applications. And as I said above, I’ve deactivated the firewall, so it doesn’t make any difference.

If you create a new, blank site in Local can you access that okay? If you can, then you may want to try reimporting the site getting the errors. The steps would look like this:

  • Locate the site files on your machine, and save a copy of them to your desktop. If you click Go to Site Folder under your site name it should take you right to where they are located.
  • Once you have those copied, completely delete the site from Local
  • Restart Local/your machine
  • Reimport the site back into Local. You can refer here on how to Restore from only Local site files

I’m a little afraid of doing this manipulation and losing everything by making a big mistake…

I found a backup that I had exported on 21/09 (one day before the update) and in this export there was only 1 php folder.
With the update in “conf” there are 2 folders: one named “php” and one named “php-8.1.23”. These are the only folders that have been modified since the update (modification date 22/09).
Could this be the source of the problem or does it have nothing to do with it?

Update :

I’ve taken the original files and compressed them into a zip.
I then created a new site by re-importing this zip, but changing the name so as not to confuse it with the old one. I can start this one with local without any error message and it’s displayed (with a few missing images) when I click on “open site”.

But I can’t access “WP admin” with the logins (since it’s not the same name anymore, I guess?).

Do I really have to delete the old site and recreate a new one? Will I be able to access WP admin normally if I do this?
Because I really have the feeling that it’s just a path problem that was broken during the update. (The site folder was not located in the default location but on a separate hard disk, which I had set up that way precisely so as not to lose everything in the event of a problem with windows).

I’m sorry, this is rather obscure for me…I don’t quite understand where the identifiers and folders are stored with this software.
This is the 2nd time I’ve had a problem with a version upgrade, so I must not have installed things correctly. I’d like to understand what I’m doing wrong.
The last time I started again my site from scratch, I don’t really want to repeat the experience and would love to have some insight.

Thank you very much

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I saw that you marked this solved, but just wanted to check back here if you’re still having any of the lingering issues mentioned above.

Keep us posted and we’d be happy to help further!