Unable to import site with zip exported from WP Migrate Pro

Issue Summary

I export the site with WP Migrate Pro. Drag exported zip file into Local WP. Process starts fine. At the end, it shows me the message: try again with a compatible zip file.

Troubleshooting Questions

• Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?
    This is the only one I’ve tried this new feature with.

• Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?
    Yes

System Details

• Which version of Local is being used?
    6.61+6281

• What Operating System (OS) and OS version is being used?
    macOS Ventura

• Attach the Local Log. See this Help Doc for instructions on how to do so:

Edit 1:

I just tried this with another one of our sites and same result:

New log file
local-lightning.log (263.7 KB)

Edit 2:

Tried with a different computer. Same result.

local-lightning.log (91.7 KB)

Hi there. Is this the only way to get support about this issue?

Hi @lebleu29

On the site that you exported would you happen to have any backup plugins that have been storing any extra backup copies of the site including SQL files? That’s one possibility here, but let us know your findings and we can continue to try and help.

Thanks for the reply.

No, unfortunately, I don’t see any sql files anywhere. We also use MalCare on all our sites and the ZIP archives of our sites downloaded from it also cause this “compatible zip file” error. Is there any documentation on what a compatible zip file should be?

There are two required things that Local needs for the import to be successful:

1. The wp-content folder (containing plugins, themes, and uploads)
  2. A database dump as a sql file

Taken from our help doc here: Import a WordPress Site into Local - Local

Is this site currently being hosted somewhere?

Ah okay, I was doing full backups. Removing everything except the db and wp-content folder seems to have fixed things. Now I just get the https error on each site I import:

I remembered encountering this MacOS issue before and found the following article, which has fixed the issue.

Thanks very much for your help Nick!

1 Like

No problem @lebleu29! Glad you were able to get things back in working order :slight_smile:

I’m having a similar issue, getting the same error message when trying to import a site. I have verified multiple times that the zip file only includes the wp-content folder and the database sql file. I’ve tried both a direct download of files using sftp, and using WP Migrate, and I’ve prepped the zipped file per the instructions every time. When importing, the process appears to run completely, including setting up the database, but then ends with the error “Please try again with a compatible Zip file.” Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Hey @redirwin! I’ll shoot you a DM so we can try and offer some more help.

Appears that things are working as expected now. Previously, I had been including all options in the export, but I tried again without including “Must Use Plugins”, “Other Files”, or “WordPress Core Files”. Without those items, the import to Local worked without issues. Thanks again for your help Nick.

1 Like

Hi Nick, I’m getting the same issue importing my website into Local on a WIndows 10 machine. I tried excluding "Plugins”, “Other Files”, or “WordPress Core Files” but got the same result.

Hi @modelling.lead

Are you getting the incompatible zip error or something else?

Can you unzip your exported site and reduce it down to just wp-content and sql and then zip it back up and try again? Keep us posted and we’d be happy to help further!

Hi @Nick-B, let me join this thread with my findings. I’m also unable to import zip file generated by WP Migrate Lite v. 2.6.4 to Local v. 6.7.0+6354 @ Windows 10 Pro v. 21H2. The import process ends with the same error Please try again with a compatible ZIP file.

WP v. 6.2

Active WP plugins:

• WooCommerce v. 7.5.1
  • WP Migrate Lite v. 2.6.4

Local custom environment setting:

• PHP v. 7.4.30
  • Web server nginx 1.16.0
  • MySQL 8.0.16

See below the last two lines from a local-lightning.log file:

{"thread":"main","class":"ImporterGeneric","stack":"Error: ERROR 1136 (21S01) at line 1998: Column count doesn't match value count at row 1\n at %%appPath%%\\main\\_helpers\\importSQLFile.js:1:2560\n at Generator.next (<anonymous>)\n at a (%%appPath%%\\main\\_helpers\\importSQLFile.js:1:742)\n at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)","level":"error","message":"Unable to import E:/local-web/my-website/app/sql/database.sql","timestamp":"2023-04-10T10:19:36.966Z"}

{"stack":"Error: Local was unable to import the following SQL files: \n\n• E:/local-web/my-website/app/sql/database.sql\n at ImporterGeneric.<anonymous> (%%appPath%%\\main\\importer\\Importer.js:1:9812)\n at Generator.throw (<anonymous>)\n at o (%%appPath%%\\main\\importer\\Importer.js:1:793)\n at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)","level":"warn","message":"Unable to import site.","timestamp":"2023-04-10T10:19:37.132Z"}

I’ve tried these variations with no success importing them:

• WP Migrate > Database, Media Uploads, Themes, Plugins, WP Core files
  • WP Migrate > Database, Media Uploads, Themes, Plugins
  • WP Migrate > Database, Themes

The default structure of the WP Migrate export file is this one (in my case just the database and themes option):

• root: database.sql, wpmigrate-export.json
  • folder: files > wp-content >
    • themes (empty)
    • themes_ (contains all themes)

A few more tries re-structure the zip file (e.g. reducing it just to wp-content and sql) ended up with no success.

The last thing I tried was optimizing DB with WP-Optimize plugin. Well, again with no success importing a website. The process still ends with the same error while Importing database (sql file).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.