Unable to restore sites from backups

Just to be sure, you are trying to apply on local, backups that you made from an old installation right?
If thats the case, try one thing:

You seem to have the SQL dumps from the old sites and its files… I hope so haha

1. Create a new website in local from scratch, using the name of the backed up site.

2. Backup the files from /app/public into a new folder, let’s say /app/public/old_backup, you might need them later (maybe wp-config, to get database connection info, or .htaccess).

3. Place your files from the backup into the /app/public folder.

4. Log into Adminer from the “Database” tab on Local to access the database created for the new website

5. Click the “Import” button on the Adminer interface to upload an SQL file

6. From there you select the .sql file from your old dump, and ask it to execute.

Checks to make:

• Make sure your wp-config.php file matches the database given by local to the new website you created and the $table_prefix you used.
  • Your domain must match the domain you used to have on local, in the backed up site. If not, you can change the domain on local in the “Site Setup” tab or replace it from the own database.

The process you were using, didn’t work because local seems to have some files that connect with the application to make it work properly, and since you deleted the whole folder (including conf, and app folders) it won’t work because the VM won’t recognize the files.
That process I gave to you is the process I use to install websites from outside Local into it to be able to work from Local’s environment. Think about Local as a normal hosting, that you must do those steps to set up a website.

Forgive me if I didn’t understand your question properly, but I hope to have shed some light into your problem haha