Virtual Box Error

Issue Summary

I’m unable to open up/access the sites I created before the upgrade.
When the Local app was made free and opened to everyone it installed a new app called LOCAL. Prior to that it was called LOCAL BY FLYWHEEL. Since that change I can no longer open up the LOCAL BY FLYWHEEL and all the sites that I had created in the past.

Troubleshooting Questions

- Does this happen for all sites in Local, or just one in particular?
I can’t open the app at all.

- Are you able to create a new, plain WordPress site in Local and access it in a Browser?
The version of the app called LOCAL BY FLYWHEEL no longer opens so I cannot access any of the sites I created.

Replication

Every time I open the app, I get this message:
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 2.24.09 PM

VirtualBox Error
Local was unable to reload VirtualBox’s Kernel Extension
Please check the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and click “Allow” if present.
If issue persists, please visit the Local by Flywheel Community.

System Details

- Which version of Local is being used?
The version of Local was the MAC OS Version as of Summer 2019. I can’t open the app to see the details. I was probably running Big Sur then.

- Attach the Local Log. See this Community Forum post for instructions on how to do so:
I can’t see the log because I’m unable to open the application at all.

The original app called “Local by Flywheel” (and what we sometimes call “Local Classic”) was built on a virtual machine and due to how the various operating systems were changing, we weren’t able to keep Local running smoothly. That’s why completely rewrote Local – to avoid issues like this.

Our help doc on migrating from Classic to Lightning might help get the sites installed on the new version of Local:

The error message from the popup window seems to indicate that VirtualBox’s kernel extensions aren’t able to be loaded. You might have luck re-installing Virtualbox as well as doing a hard restart so that those kernel extensions are loaded.

Either way, this kind of thing can be tricky because the virtual machine might be damaged. If you can, migrate the sites to the latest version of Local for a much more stable development environment.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.